Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

east85

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
I'm planning on abandoning my jailbreak (on iOS 8) and just updating, should I go about this another way? I have no need for a jailbreak on my iPad anymore because I've bought a dedicated hotspot for the ATT unlimited LTE plan.

Thanks.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I'm planning on abandoning my jailbreak (on iOS 8) and just updating, should I go about this another way? I have no need for a jailbreak on my iPad anymore because I've bought a dedicated hotspot for the ATT unlimited LTE plan.

Thanks.
Yes.

Connect your phone to your computer and open iTunes. Backup your device.

Put your device into DFU mode (Google it). Once iTunes tells you that it has found a device in recovery mode, restore your device.

Once the device is restored you can either choose to set up as new or restore from your backup.

Most people would advise restoring as new, but I've never had an issue, when stock, restoring from a backup. That said it does not mean I could not have or will never have problems so this choice is up to you.

Either way, when done, the jailbreak will be completely wiped and the device will be back to stock.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
If the iPad is still under warranty I'm not sure I'd agree with that. If you backup when jailbroken and then restore from backup to an unjailbroken iPad there are jailbreak tweak files/folders that will be written to the iPad.

If no warranty I wouldn't worry about it. The extra stuff won't affect the iPad.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
If the iPad is still under warranty I'm not sure I'd agree with that. If you backup when jailbroken and then restore from backup to an unjailbroken iPad there are jailbreak tweak files/folders that will be written to the iPad.

If no warranty I wouldn't worry about it. The extra stuff won't affect the iPad.
Yeah, it's a judgment call there.

Last year my iPhone 5 was still under AC+ and the battery was bulging. I had it replaced. I backed up before going to the Apple store and restored as new.

They replaced my iPhone 5 without issue and when I got it back I simply restored from the backup.

It's always suggested to restore as new before any warranty service.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.