Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shinehah

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2015
California
Hi, my girlfriend has an iPhone 4s that's on iOS 6.1.3, and she just got a FitBit for Christmas. FitBit App only works on iOS 7 or higher. The software update offered on her phone is for 8.1.2, and she doesn't have enough storage space on her phone for it, and we haven't been able to create enough space.
I have a backup of my phone on my MacBook that's iOS 7.0.6. I have a program that can extract the iOS from the backup. Is there a way to update her phone to that extracted version? (I backup both of our phones on this MacBook.)
She also has an iPad 2. FitBit app only works on newer iPads than that...

Frustration with this has me about to return the FitBit to the store!

dcharleyultra

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2013
To the best of my knowledge, you can only update to an iOS that Apple is currently signing- iOS 8.1.2.

Can you use iTunes on your MacBook to update the 4s?

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Hi, my girlfriend has an iPhone 4s that's on iOS 6.1.3, and she just got a FitBit for Christmas. FitBit App only works on iOS 7 or higher. The software update offered on her phone is for 8.1.2, and she doesn't have enough storage space on her phone for it, and we haven't been able to create enough space.
I have a backup of my phone on my MacBook that's iOS 7.0.6. I have a program that can extract the iOS from the backup. Is there a way to update her phone to that extracted version? (I backup both of our phones on this MacBook.)
She also has an iPad 2. FitBit app only works on newer iPads than that...

Frustration with this has me about to return the FitBit to the store!

Nope, 8.1.2 is your only choice.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
@ dcharleyultra:yes, I can use iTunes to update the 4s but it wants me to download 8.1.2...

Yes, as above, 8.1.2 is the only option. Updating through iTunes will require less space than updating on the phone itself.

Shinehah

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2015
California
Thank you for the info. If we were able to create enough space on her phone to do the upgrade (which I doubt unless we wiped it) would it be worth it? I've heard such horror stories about newer iOS on older phones.

BittenApple

macrumors 65816
Nov 29, 2008
Thank you for the info. If we were able to create enough space on her phone to do the upgrade (which I doubt unless we wiped it) would it be worth it? I've heard such horror stories about newer iOS on older phones.

If you upgrade via iTunes it doesn't matter how much space your iPhone has.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.