Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cbsnbiker

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2007
I just received a warranty replacement iPhone 7. It is on 13.4.1.

I want to upgrade it to 14.8.1.

It wants to upgrade me to 15.1.

I do not want 15.1.

How can I upgrade it to 14.8.1?

kwijbo

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2012

I do not want 15.1.

I'm in a similar situation, on 14.4

From what it appears (and others here have confirmed as much), we are stuck for now.

There is no version of iOS 14 that is being signed by apple at the moment, the only available version is 15.1

It is possible there may be another version in the future. Apple said they would allow users to continue on iOS 14 with security updates. Hopefully when 15.2 is released they will release an update to iOS 14 with security fixes, and a signed firmware we can download and install at that time.

I am waiting to see what comes. If the only option they offer is to force us onto iOS 15, and they completely contradict their previous statement of providing security updates to users who do not want to upgrade to iOS 15, then I will have lost trust and will explore alternatives.

Reactions: trusso and ThomasJL

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013

I do not want 15.1.

You can't at this time. You have to be on iOS 14.5-14.8 to install 14.8.1.

I'm in a similar situation, on 14.4

From what it appears (and others here have confirmed as much), we are stuck for now.

There is no version of iOS 14 that is being signed by apple at the moment, the only available version is 15.1

It is possible there may be another version in the future. Apple said they would allow users to continue on iOS 14 with security updates. Hopefully when 15.2 is released they will release an update to iOS 14 with security fixes, and a signed firmware we can download and install at that time.

I am waiting to see what comes. If the only option they offer is to force us onto iOS 15, and they completely contradict their previous statement of providing security updates to users who do not want to upgrade to iOS 15, then I will have lost trust and will explore alternatives.
It seems like this continued support only applies to devices that were on 14.5 or higher. It could still change in the future I suppose.

Reactions: ThomasJL

kwijbo

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2012
It seems like this continued support only applies to devices that were on 14.5 or higher. It could still change in the future I suppose.
Had Apple qualified their "commitment" to software updates to be as specific as saying something along the lines of "we will provide ongoing security updates for devices which have been updated to at least iOS 14.5 as of 9/20/2021" I might be less dismayed. A kafkaesque requirement, but at least we could have prepared or made informed decisions. Even still, as OP said, they got a phone at the present time that is in this state. Nothing they could have done.

Simply pulling update support with no notice while continuing to provide the statement that users on iOS 14 can receive security updates is hostile towards users.

cbsnbiker

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2007
Thank you, everyone.

I guess it's buggy 15.1 instead of stable 14.8.1.

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2008
The thread in the following link does not address the OP's question of upgrading from iOS 13.4.1 to 14.8.1, but it contains posts explaining that there was no IPSW file for 14.8.1 released:

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Thank you, everyone.

I guess it's buggy 15.1 instead of stable 14.8.1.
15.1 is not so bad. Most of the issues people have seen with iOS 15 has been on newer devices, like the iPhone 12 and 13 series. On a 7, 15.1 should be great. It's been rock solid and awesome on my 11 Pro Max.

I wouldn't dare stay behind on iOS 13 if I were you. You're open to several nasty security holes.

cbsnbiker

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2007
Thank you, everyone. I ended up upgrading to 15.1 perforce.

Alternatively, you could upgrade to the stable version of 15.1. That's what most of us are running.
What version of 15.1 is that?

My previous iPhone 7, under 14.8.1, was pretty stable, until it needed to be replaced.

This iPhone 7, under 15.1, has issues. It runs hot. Apps open slowly. Apps crash, hang up, and reboot fairly often. My AirPod Pros often disconnect. None of this happened with the previous iPhone 7 under 14.8.1 or previous versions of the OS.

It reminds me a bit of when I would upgrade my old iPhone 5, c. iOS 9. Every time I upgraded it, it would work worse. Over and over again. Except in this case, it's just the jump from 14.x to 15.1, and the change of phones, that seems to have caused the issues. I assume there is no problem with the new hardware itself. It's otherwise behaving well.

I hope that future versions of iOS 15 work better.

In the meantime, thank you again, everyone, with your advice and info. This will tide me over until it's time for an upgrade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.