Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

b2387692

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2014
Hello all,

I've read the info quoted below elsewhere and need to confirm, whether or not I can upgrade my Late 2011 Mini & MBP, DIRECTLY from pre-loaded OS X 10.7.5 to Sierra? Or do I need to upgrade to OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, then OS X 10.9 Mavericks, OS X 10.10 Yosemite, etc...first?

if you’re running an OS version like Lion (OS X 10.7), you’re looking into a lot of upgrading before getting Sierra. To upgrade to Sierra from, say, Mavericks, you’ll have to consequently Yosemite and then to El Capitan, first.

The following OS can upgrade to Sierra:
  • OS X Mountain Lion v10.8
  • OS X Mavericks v10.9
  • OS X Yosemite v10.10
  • OS X El Capitan v10.11

b2387692

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2014
UPDATE...
I found the answer at http://www.apple.com/macos/how-to-upgrade/
...if your Mac is running OS X Lion 10.7.5 or later, you can upgrade directly to macOS Sierra....
These Mac models are compatible with macOS Sierra:
  • MacBook (Late 2009 or newer)
  • MacBook Pro (Mid 2010 or newer)
  • MacBook Air (Late 2010 or newer)
  • Mac mini (Mid 2010 or newer)
  • iMac (Late 2009 or newer)
  • Mac Pro (Mid 2010 or newer)
We shall see...

b2387692

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2014
As noted by Apple, you should be able to upgrade directly. You certainly don't need to install every intermediate version.
Thanks!
Before upgrading my MBP and Mini Server both running (pre-loaded) Lion 10.7.5 to Sierra 10.12.4, is it recommended to create a bootable installer for either Lion and/or Sierra?

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
You shouldn't need to, but there's no harm in doing it. It's probably more important to have a backup of your current system.

Reactions: camardelle

b2387692

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2014
You shouldn't need to, but there's no harm in doing it. It's probably more important to have a backup of your current system.
Thanks!
I saved all my important files and folders from both the Mini and MBP to an external HD, which is connected to the Mini. Now, working on the MBP first, it's my understanding that since Lion 10.7.5 came pre-loaded, I can always do OSX Recovery, if needed so no bootable necessary, there. That said, I've downloaded macOS Sierra and just in case I need it, in the future, I tried to create a bootable usb in Terminal, as shown in the video below and many others but it did not appear to work.

At the Terminal prompt, I entered the Command (sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyInstallerName --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app) and hit enter, then entered my password, as requested but instead of beginning, Terminal looped back and gave me the original prompt, again. I hit Ctrl-C and closed out, then tried again but it still did not work. This time, when Terminal looped back to the original prompt, I re-entered the Command and hit enter. However, terminal did not request password but rather looped directly back to original prompt.

Any Ideas?

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
I've downloaded macOS Sierra and just in case I need it, in the future, I tried to create a bootable usb in Terminal, as shown in the video below and many others but it did not appear to work.

At the Terminal prompt, I entered the Command (sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyInstallerName --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app) and hit enter, then entered my password, as requested but instead of beginning, Terminal looped back and gave me the original prompt, again. I hit Ctrl-C and closed out, then tried again but it still did not work. This time, when Terminal looped back to the original prompt, I re-entered the Command and hit enter. However, terminal did not request password but rather looped directly back to original prompt.
Any Ideas?
For you terminal command the Sierra installer app (Install macOS Sierra) must be in the Applications folder and your USB thumb drive must be named MyInstallerName.

Here is what I have used successfully (my thumb drive is named Untitled):
Code:
sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app --nointeraction

b2387692

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2014
For you terminal command the Sierra installer app (Install macOS Sierra) must be in the Applications folder and your USB thumb drive must be named MyInstallerName.

Here is what I have used successfully (my thumb drive is named Untitled):
Code:
sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app --nointeraction

Thanks!

>>>Sierra installer app (Install macOS Sierra) must be in the Applications folder...DONE
>>>USB thumb drive must be named MyInstallerName...DONE

What you used successfully, is exactly the same, as what I used except for your thumb drive name and ending with the following: " --nointeraction".

Hmm?

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
Thanks!

>>>Sierra installer app (Install macOS Sierra) must be in the Applications folder...DONE
>>>USB thumb drive must be named MyInstallerName...DONE

What you used successfully, is exactly the same, as what I used except for your thumb drive name and ending with the following: " --nointeraction".

Hmm?
It is not required for createinstallmedia to work, but here is what it does:
--nointeraction : erase the disk pointed to by "--volume" without prompting for confirmation.
If you run createinstallmedia without "--nointeraction", it will first ask you to confirm to erase the disk before creating your bootable installer disk

b2387692

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2014
It is not required for createinstallmedia to work, but here is what it does:
--nointeraction : erase the disk pointed to by "--volume" without prompting for confirmation.
If you run createinstallmedia without "--nointeraction", it will first ask you to confirm to erase the disk before creating your bootable installer disk
Great, thanks!
I wish I could get that far...
Without "--nointeraction", after I enter my password, Terminal keeps looping back to original prompt; like it's starting all over...:confused:

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
A couple of questions.
Have you tried restarting your Mac recently?
Is the USB thumb drive formatted for Mac?
Does the USB thumb drive mount?

Last edited:

b2387692

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2014
A couple of questions.
Have you tried restarting your Mac recently?
Yes, I restarted Mac, at least once, this morning before downloading macOS Sierra. Strange thing is now, after downloading macOS Sierra, if I try to restart it I get this, for the first time that I can ever recall, although I did switch to users, to download it:
Restart.jpg

Is the USB thumb drive formatted for Mac?
Yes, Format : Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

Does the USB thumb drive mount?
I'm not sure, what do you mean?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Yes, I restarted Mac, at least once, this morning before downloading macOS Sierra. Strange thing is now, after downloading macOS Sierra, if I try to restart it I get this, for the first time that I can ever recall, although I did switch to users, to download it:
Restart.jpg
You're getting that because you didn't log out of your other account but instead just switched users. The text in the dialog box explains exactly what is going on.

b2387692

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2014
You're getting that because you didn't log out of your other account but instead just switched users. The text in the dialog box explains exactly what is going on.
Thanks!
I figured that was the issue with the restart.

I just don't understand, what I'm doing wrong, to make Terminal keep looping back and giving me the original prompt, again."..Hmm?

Last edited:

b2387692

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2014
OK, after further review, a non-blank administrator password appears not to be my issue, as I entered a real password but thought I was onto something, when I read the following:

...if you enter a blank password after entering the sudo command, Terminal doesn't execute the command. Instead, it either returns you to the command prompt...or says try again.

That said, I may just have to install Sierra, without the backup bootable, and take my chances.

Last edited:

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
It's possible that createinstallmedia won't run under 10.7. Does anything happen when you simply run:

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia

You should get some help text.

b2387692

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2014
It's possible that createinstallmedia won't run under 10.7. Does anything happen when you simply run:

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia

You should get some help text.
Thanks!
I went ahead and installed Sierra, without the backup bootable, but I saved a copy of the download...
So far, so good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.