Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TT1TT

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 1, 2011
Hello guys I have macbook 2010 (ram 4GB)
and i want to upgrade it to 8GB , so the Q can i ?
if no what about 6GB
Thanks

Last edited:

TT1TT

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 1, 2011
Last edited:

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
It will work. Those guys at the Apple Store are just like normal people: some know what they are talking about, others don't.

Get your RAM from Crucial or OWC, both are excellent, and Crucial is cheaper.

TT1TT

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 1, 2011
It will work. Those guys at the Apple Store are just like normal people: some know what they are talking about, others don't.

Get your RAM from Crucial or OWC, both are excellent, and Crucial is cheaper.

thank you so much man i will buy this : http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-CT2KI...1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1317596894&sr=1-1

Apple said you can't because they themselves don't support 8GB. But if you get 3rd party RAM and install it you'll find it actually does work.

thank you

Maschil

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2011
Mississippi
please dont pay someone to put it in for you... i'lll make a tutorial for you myself (video).... its a piece of cake to put it in... also....

rubencito

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2009
mac memory

Any help on this?

Buying RAM for Intel Macs

Main Article Buying RAM

The most-recommended USA sellers on MacRumors are Data Memory Systems, OWC (MacSales) and Crucial (use the link at the top of the forum pages to help support MacRumors). Another popular memory vendor is Ramjet. The Kingston KTA-MBxxx/xG series are good too, Kingston do not guarantee Mac compatibility with their ValueRAM series. Big-box discounters Newegg, Frys are popular for bargain-seekers, but usually offer no guarantee of compatibility or support on their generic RAM, so the buyer is responsible for choosing and testing. Keep that in mind, but don't let it scare you away from good deals. Since Intel macs use pretty standard hardware, memory compatibility is not as big of an issue as it used to be. The chances of memory not working in your Mac are about the same as on a comparable PC.

Look for a reputable seller with good shipping and return policies (no shipping or restocking charges on DOA RAM, for example), and good customer service. On all Macs except the Mac Pro, avoid RAM with heatspreaders; they will have issues physically fitting in iMacs, Mac minis and MacBooks.

Internationally, look for a seller in your country or economic zone. Some US sellers will ship internationally, but the buyer will be responsible for taxes, duties and customs brokerage. Insurance and shipping will be higher. International buyers are almost always responsible for shipping and border costs both ways for warranty replacements, so factor these costs into your decision.

Last edited:

TT1TT

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 1, 2011
BIG THANKS GUYS

FOR ANY ONE WHANTS TO TRY HERE IS THE BEST VIDEO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PnCOFAVLZw

Buying RAM for Intel Macs

Main Article Buying RAM

The most-recommended USA sellers on MacRumors are Data Memory Systems, OWC (MacSales) and Crucial (use the link at the top of the forum pages to help support MacRumors). Another popular memory vendor is Ramjet. The Kingston KTA-MBxxx/xG series are good too, Kingston do not guarantee Mac compatibility with their ValueRAM series. Big-box discounters Newegg, Frys are popular for bargain-seekers, but usually offer no guarantee of compatibility or support on their generic RAM, so the buyer is responsible for choosing and testing. Keep that in mind, but don't let it scare you away from good deals. Since Intel macs use pretty standard hardware, memory compatibility is not as big of an issue as it used to be. The chances of memory not working in your Mac are about the same as on a comparable PC.

Look for a reputable seller with good shipping and return policies (no shipping or restocking charges on DOA RAM, for example), and good customer service. On all Macs except the Mac Pro, avoid RAM with heatspreaders; they will have issues physically fitting in iMacs, Mac minis and MacBooks.

Internationally, look for a seller in your country or economic zone. Some US sellers will ship internationally, but the buyer will be responsible for taxes, duties and customs brokerage. Insurance and shipping will be higher. International buyers are almost always responsible for shipping and border costs both ways for warranty replacements, so factor these costs into your decision.

IF YOU DON'T MAIND CAN YOU TELL ME WHAT IS THE BEST HARD DRIVE FOR MAC
I WANT TO BUY THIS ONE BUT I AM NOT SURE :(
http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Momen...5005620AS-Bare/dp/B003NSBF32/ref=pd_cp_e_pw_3

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
Buying RAM for Intel Macs[...]

Please, if you're going to quote a big article from the internet, give us the source. It's obvious you didn't write this whole thing up, so don't pretend like you did.

IF YOU DON'T MAIND CAN YOU TELL ME WHAT IS THE BEST HARD DRIVE FOR MAC
I WANT TO BUY THIS ONE BUT I AM NOT SURE :(
http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Momen...5005620AS-Bare/dp/B003NSBF32/ref=pd_cp_e_pw_3

There is no "best HDD for Mac". You will get mixed opinions on this, and it will be up to you to choose what you like best. Personally, I like Western Digital and Seagate, and the one you chose is a great drive. Other people will tell you that WD is the worst HDD company in the world but they love Seagate, others will tell you the reverse, and still others will recommend Hitachi or Toshiba. It comes down to personal experience.

Some people claim (and I'm not saying their claims are not true) that they've had 5 WD HDDs fail in a row, but never one from Seagate. The same could happen from any other HDD manufacturer. The thing with HDDs is they are guaranteed to fail at some point. They have moving parts, and those parts will wear out eventually. People have had massive issues with all the major HDD manufacturers, but I've found that it seems like WD and Seagate have the highest success rate.

Whatever drive you choose, it should be 7200 rpm, which is significantly faster than the default 5400 rpm and doesn't generally use much more power.

TL;DR: You picked a good HDD, I recommend Seagate or WD. Others may recommend otherwise, you'll have to make your own decision.

TT1TT

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 1, 2011
Please, if you're going to quote a big article from the internet, give us the source. It's obvious you didn't write this whole thing up, so don't pretend like you did.

There is no "best HDD for Mac". You will get mixed opinions on this, and it will be up to you to choose what you like best. Personally, I like Western Digital and Seagate, and the one you chose is a great drive. Other people will tell you that WD is the worst HDD company in the world but they love Seagate, others will tell you the reverse, and still others will recommend Hitachi or Toshiba. It comes down to personal experience.

Some people claim (and I'm not saying their claims are not true) that they've had 5 WD HDDs fail in a row, but never one from Seagate. The same could happen from any other HDD manufacturer. The thing with HDDs is they are guaranteed to fail at some point. They have moving parts, and those parts will wear out eventually. People have had massive issues with all the major HDD manufacturers, but I've found that it seems like WD and Seagate have the highest success rate.

Whatever drive you choose, it should be 7200 rpm, which is significantly faster than the default 5400 rpm and doesn't generally use much more power.

TL;DR: You picked a good HDD, I recommend Seagate or WD. Others may recommend otherwise, you'll have to make your own decision.

thanks man

i have a problem i bought 8GB kingstone 2 stickshttp://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0053G6GI6?tag=5336090759-20

and when i want to install it and run it
i have a sound from the computer and the screen is black
i removed 1 stick kingston and replace it by the old one so ( 4GB kingston + 2GB apple ) = 6GB
and it works but i need to have 8GB any idea what i have to do to let 8GB run

thanks

Attachments

• s.png
    s.png
    42 KB · Views: 104

Centient

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2009
thanks man

i have a problem i bought 8GB kingstone 2 stickshttp://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0053G6GI6?tag=5336090759-20

and when i want to install it and run it
i have a sound from the computer and the screen is black
i removed 1 stick kingston and replace it by the old one so ( 4GB kingston + 2GB apple ) = 6GB
and it works but i need to have 8GB any idea what i have to do to let 8GB run

I would keep the Apple stick in there and remove the Kingston that is working and replace it with the other one. If you run into problems then you've probably got a bad memory stick. You'll need to return it.

Just an fyi... I upgraded my two 2010 Macbooks to 8GB of Crucial Memory, and a 500GB WD Scorpio Black HDD. Everything is working great. I like the Black series from WD as they offer 5 year warranty replacement on that model, and the WD RMA process is really easy.

Good luck.

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
Also, if the sticks you got are at a higher speed than when the MacBook calls for, that can cause issues. Sometimes you get an issue where it won't boot if it doesn't find at least one stick that matches the correct speed. Catch is, if you have one stick that is the correct speed, the other stick will work, even if it's the "wrong" speed.

What do you need 8 GB for on your MacBook? Not saying you shouldn't put any effort into making it work, just wondering what you're doing on your MacBook that needs 8 GB RAM?

rubencito

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2009

Sorry, I did not claim to have written this, it says clearly on the top of my copy and paste is an article. I too was looking for answers and read this on the Macbook forum under Mac guides, here is a link.
http://guides.macrumors.com/Understanding_Intel_Mac_RAM

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
Sorry, I did not claim to have written this, it says clearly on the top of my copy and paste is an article. I too was looking for answers and read this on the Macbook forum under Mac guides, here is a link.
http://guides.macrumors.com/Understanding_Intel_Mac_RAM

By posting an article as your post you are claiming to have written it, whether that's your intent or not. Just like if you asked me to research something and I took a Wikipedia article, stripped out everything that identified it as such, and then handed it to you.

I truly believe that you didn't intend to claim that you actually wrote it. All it takes is 3 seconds' copy/paste and you're all set.

jackc

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
I asked someone at Crucial because they only listed the 4 GB upgrade for the 2010 Macbook, they said that's all it supports. I assume they are just not listing the unofficial maximum?

MuGeN PoWeR

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2011
i just upgraded mine macbook Late 2009 to 8Gb Kingston 1333Mhz! it does support but i dont know why i dont feel some better performance of my mac!! boot time is same as before! iPhoto runs faster though!!

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
i just upgraded mine macbook Late 2009 to 8Gb Kingston 1333Mhz! it does support but i dont know why i dont feel some better performance of my mac!! boot time is same as before! iPhoto runs faster though!!

Well, your Mac is downclocking your RAM to 1066 MHz, and more RAM doesn't mean a faster Mac if the previous amount of RAM you had was sufficient. If you had 4 GB RAM before and were never running over that amount, then 8 GB isn't really going to do anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.