Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Five_Oh

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2017
Flyover Country, USA
Above poster is correct.

We no longer have cable, so everything we watch is through ATV. It remembers the connection to HomePod every time. We love using it as a tv speaker, especially late at night. It allows us to keep the sound down but still hear everything well since it is much closer to where we sit. I WOULD like a second now, but not at $299. Maybe I'll get another when there is another Best Buy sale.

Also, shortcuts can be used as Itinj24 says to switch outputs if you switch back and forth easily. Also, shortcuts can be used to wake the ATV, TV, and launch straight to an app with one voice command. Works pretty well.

Reactions: DaveN and Itinj24

JBaby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2015
Ok so I got home played with it. Here are two shortcuts I created. One has more steps to start up the TV and open the remote on my phone and and an app on the ATV etc... The other one just highlights the action used to have the HomePod play the audio. I named it “Kitchen TV” for simplicity sake. I tested it and it works. I turned the TV on without the HomePod playing the audio and I said, “Hey, Siri, Kitchen TV” and the HomePod picked up the audio after confirmation.

On a side note, iOS/TVOS 14 is supposed to remember the Airplay (e.g. HomePod) audio source for the ATV. It works for me at least. If I had the HomePod playing the ATV audio previously, it remains that way when I turn the TV on again.

View attachment 960786 View attachment 960787

It works for me too. AirPlaying from tv to HomePods has been flawless since tvOS 14. It even works with YouTube.

Reactions: Itinj24

gw0gvq

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2012
Barry, South Wales, UK
I'm hard of hearing and find little difficulty hearing the TV speaker, so I have got 2 homepod as stereo speakers and I find it a lot better because I can move them where I want in the room IE, because of my hearing I have them either side of the setee I normally sit in.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
don't

using a wireless audio connection for video is a little spotty.
It can drop out
it can "un-configure" itself, so you have to reconnect

having a hardwired audio connection is far more reliable and stable,

If don't have a sound bar yet, a Sonos Beam is the same price as 2 HomePods.
you can still play apple music on it
you can airplay to it

the only con for sonos vs HomePod is you loose siri, which might not be that much of a downside.

Pros for sonos
wired audio connection.
access to multiple streaming services ( supposedly coming on HomePod, but nothing released)
Alexa or Google (your choice if this is a pro or con)

and I love the sonos interface instead of airplay.

With sonos, you can change music, room groupings, or volume on any phone or computer on your network at any time, as long as you have the app. you can do all the following, in the same "session"
  1. start playback in the living room from your iPhone
  2. include the kitchen to the music playing in the living room on your android
  3. skip a track on your windows PC
  4. change the volume on your Mac

and even if you don't have android or PC, being able to do any of that from the Mac without having to grab your phone is nice,

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
So does this require a shortcut or can a HomePod or HomePods be set us the default audio source for an Apple TV?

Blowback

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2018
VA
So does this require a shortcut or can a HomePod or HomePods be set us the default audio source for an Apple TV?
I think the next update(in week or so?) is supposed to address/fix this.....I know I’ve been waiting for it to drop.

mallbritton

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2006

When tvOS 14.2 is released it will allow a single of stereo pair of HomePods to be set as the default audio source. This feature is only supported on the Apple TV 4K.

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
When tvOS 14.2 is released it will allow a single of stereo pair of HomePods to be set as the default audio source. This feature is only supported on the Apple TV 4K.
Any idea of this would work with the HomePod mini? I’m basically trying to find a cheap and easy way to improve my sound.

Edit: I found the info. The Mini will work.

Last edited:

m.x

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2014
Any idea of this would work with the HomePod mini? I’m basically trying to find a cheap and easy way to improve my sound.

Can you post the info? I can't find it anywhere and I really would like to buy a few Minis, but this feature has to work...

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
Can you post the info? I can't find it anywhere and I really would like to buy a few Minis, but this feature has to work...
38FDE60A-9ABB-4BFA-A5BC-8DEA6A61BF55.jpeg

Soondae

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2012
Hua Hin, Thailand

However the HomePod supports Dolby ATMOS whereas the minis will only output in stereo from an ATV4K

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
However the HomePod supports Dolby ATMOS whereas the minis will only output in stereo from an ATV4K
I’m mostly just looking for some improvement over stock tv speakers so nothing too crazy. About 90% of the time it will be my kids watching Daniel Tiger.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.