Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blackvibes

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2014
Hey guys,

I would like to install El Capitan on my production machine (No comment to that :) ) and I saw the screen 'Would you like to recover a Time Machine backup?'. As this is my production machine, that might be interesting.

However, I have to format my SSD for that, which includes my Yosemite installation, as the whole thing is larger than the beta partition I kept for El Capitan, which is just 60GB..

I've got to note: Would I be able to continue my workflow, as in: all my files are back, applications, such as Sublime Text for web development, including all application and system preferences, are restored, except all things that are changed by El Capitan?

Just wondering if I should format my SSD and install El Capitan with a TimeMachineBackup of Yosemite or not.. ;)

aldrinjtauro

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2014
Birmingham, AL
Hey guys,

I would like to install El Capitan on my production machine (No comment to that :) ) and I saw the screen 'Would you like to recover a Time Machine backup?'. As this is my production machine, that might be interesting.

However, I have to format my SSD for that, which includes my Yosemite installation, as the whole thing is larger than the beta partition I kept for El Capitan, which is just 60GB..

I've got to note: Would I be able to continue my workflow, as in: all my files are back, applications, such as Sublime Text for web development, including all application and system preferences, are restored, except all things that are changed by El Capitan?

Just wondering if I should format my SSD and install El Capitan with a TimeMachineBackup of Yosemite or not.. ;)
I mean, theoretically, your stuff should go back, not sure about app data though. I believe all your user folder stuff will be restored, but stuff kept in other places might not.

Blackvibes

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2014
I took the risk and formatted my drive- and there is probably some stuff lost, indeed. Most apps did stay, although, including their preferences.

Though.. a part of the data loss is caused by TimeMachine folder exclusion.. And sadly I had a lot (including important stuff) excluded. Gotta find out what has been lost though.

But all is working quite nice gotta say :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.