Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beerseagulls

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 18, 2021
can I use Airtags to keep track of 86-year-old grandma, her car, plus her senior dog? (with her consent, of course, and only for emergencies like when she's lost or missing)

Or am I better off buying a compact GPS vehicle tracker or something like that?

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
It'll "work", but probably better off getting some other tracker. The AirTags would be beeping all the time when you aren't near them.

antiprotest

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2010
It'll "work", but probably better off getting some other tracker. The AirTags would be beeping all the time when you aren't near them.
Will they beep though, if she turns off tracking notifications, or if she doesn't use an iPhone?

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
How much do you want to spend? Best solution would be to get her the cheapest iPhone that would work well with them (an iPhone 8 or iPhone SE) - put it on your Apple ID, but don't enable your email or contacts from your iCloud account. Then you can use the iPhone and any AirTags you add for your Grandma to make sure she's safe.

antiprotest

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2010
can I use Airtags to keep track of 86-year-old grandma, her car, plus her senior dog? (with her consent, of course, and only for emergencies like when she's lost or missing)

Or am I better off buying a compact GPS vehicle tracker or something like that?
I think it will work. And since you want to find their locations only when they are missing, you can tied the tags to them and forget about it until you need it. It is best to use something integrated to what you already have, like the iPhone.

beerseagulls

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 18, 2021
Yes. Otherwise they could easily be used to track people that don't use iPhones.

just looked it up on YouTube... apparently people simply crack open the AirTag and disable the built-in speaker or buzzer thing... :(

TorbenIbsen

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2021
I would put a cellular version of Apple Watch SE on her. It has all the features one needs in a situation like this. Fall detection, heart monitoring, medications reminders, "find my" and you can also talk to each other as a cellular watch is also a telephone. - The standard wristband is comfortable and the watch is waterproof. So she needs never take it off, not even in a bath. And the watch can automatically call the emergency service if necessary. And it can remind her when her favorite TV programmes are going to start.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I would put a cellular version of Apple Watch SE on her. It has all the features one needs in a situation like this. Fall detection, heart monitoring, medications reminders, "find my" and you can also talk to each other as a cellular watch is also a telephone. - The standard wristband is comfortable and the watch is waterproof. So she needs never take it off, not even in a bath. And the watch can automatically call the emergency service if necessary. And it can remind her when her favorite TV programmes are going to start.
Well, she would need to charge it nightly.... so she would have to remember to do so.

But like other's have said, AirTags aren't meant to track people or other items (cars, etc) that might move about frequently without you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.