Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

M0RN!NG5TAR

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2021
Can I use my MacBook Air 2015 old extension cable with the new 140W power brick of 16" Macbook Pro?

M0RN!NG5TAR

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2021
Should "work", but not sure what the cable is rated for. You might not get the fastest charging rate available.
That's alright. I am just worried about the extension harming my Mac. I don't care that much about the charging time.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
That's alright. I am just worried about the extension harming my Mac. I don't care that much about the charging time.
BTW - you can somewhat check what it is pulling when charging by selecting About This Mac..>System Report->Power and then look at the bottom it should list the wattage the AC Charger is listed at.

Reactions: M0RN!NG5TAR

M0RN!NG5TAR

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2021
BTW - you can somewhat check what it is pulling when charging by selecting About This Mac..>System Report->Power and then look at the bottom it should list the wattage the AC Charger is listed at.
Thank you, I will be sure to try that.

JustAnExpat

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2019
Assuming you mean the connection between the power supply brick to the wall outlet:

Cables are cables. I'm using my Ti PowerBook 12" extension cable with my 2017 Macbook Air.

M0RN!NG5TAR

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2021
T
The power extension cord will have absolutely no effect on the power output of your charger and will work completely fine.
Thank you. I was not sure if using older version would have harmed my Mac.

M0RN!NG5TAR

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2021
Assuming you mean the connection between the power supply brick to the wall outlet:

Cables are cables. I'm using my Ti PowerBook 12" extension cable with my 2017 Macbook Air.
Yes, thank you. I was asking about "the connection between the power supply brick to the wall outlet".

M0RN!NG5TAR

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2021
From all the comments here, it seems using an old cable would not harm my Mac, so I am glad that I won't need to buy a new one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.