Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slapple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2008
I'm going to go for a bobsled ride on an Olympic ice track, and I'd like to record video of the experience. I don't have a GoPro camera, so I was wondering if I could get a head mount and just use my iPhone SE (first generation). I was looking on the internet and people say GoPros would be a lot better for action videos because they have better stabilization than phone cameras. Is that true?

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
A GoPro would definitely be the better choice. Not only would it have better stabilization, it is also lighter and more compact. It'd be less likely to move or fly off than an iPhone. Their bobsleds and/or helmets may already have a mount for a GoPro.

Not sure where you're riding, but the track in Utah only allows GoPros; it can only be mounted on the sled, or on the back of the driver (link). I would imagine other places have similar rules as well.

slapple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2008
Thanks for the reply. I'm going to do it in Lake Placid. Their web site doesn't say anything about it, so I called them and they didn't seem to have any formal rules about it - they said I could bring a GoPro or mount my phone on my head if I want.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
iPhone doesn’t have sufficient stabilization to capture footage anyone would want to watch- including yourself. The end result is going to be too jerky.
Got to use a go pro or nothing.

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
I've finally just replaced my OG SE a few weeks ago. As others have pointed out, especially with such old vid stabilization and at such speeds, the footage won't be nice. Another vote for a GoPro.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
I think you can hire a GoPro for $10 or something. Definitely avoid using an old SE for such a task, lol.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
I think you can hire a GoPro for $10 or something. Definitely avoid using an old SE for such a task, lol.
Where would one do this?

I was just about to ask about using my 11 Pro as an action camera on a car ride thing I'm going on. It'll be on some bumpy roads so I don't know if the stabilization in the 11 Pro will be good (I forget if it even has it).

Part of me wants to buy a GoPro for this and another part doesn't want to see a $300 camera sitting in my closet for the next 10 years.

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
Where would one do this?

I was just about to ask about using my 11 Pro as an action camera on a car ride thing I'm going on. It'll be on some bumpy roads so I don't know if the stabilization in the 11 Pro will be good (I forget if it even has it).

Part of me wants to buy a GoPro for this and another part doesn't want to see a $300 camera sitting in my closet for the next 10 years.
A quick search brought up grover.com in the US. You can rent a GoPro and one month is the minimum rental period for $49.99. I am not affiliated with the company. I just found it a moment ago.

Reactions: davidg4781
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.