Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sami13496

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2022
Sorry if I'm asking the obvious, but I have never owned one. Can the Apple Watch be used without a Wi-Fi connection? I mean the model without cellular capability. Is it enough to have a connection to the iPhone via Bluetooth?

calliex

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2018
Pittsburgh, Pa
Sorry if I'm asking the obvious, but I have never owned one. Can the Apple Watch be used without a Wi-Fi connection? I mean the model without cellular capability. Is it enough to have a connection to the iPhone via Bluetooth?
Yes, I have the ultra II and do not use built in cellular. I use it connect to my phone. I feel I would rarely use the built in cellular and do not want to pay ATT $10 a month for the rare occasion I would use it.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
The watch uses BT primarily since it's far more efficient on power. If it cannot see the phone via BT then it will use Wifi if available. If it doesn't have a Wifi connection it will use cellular if available.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
100%! I've been very pleasantly surprised how far away I can be from my desk at work (where my phone is) and still have my watch ring when I get an incoming call. I don't connect to work WiFi and have never had a cellular watch.

w_aldo

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2018
Stockton-on-Tees, UK
I have disabled WiFi on my AW7 and my battery life is quite a bit better. It does keep getting enabled again after every software update though. You need to go into settings to disable it fully each time.

Reactions: Saturn007

Saturn007

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
Which watch model and whether to get cellular or not depends a lot on your situation, phone patterns, and how you want to use the watch.

There are a lot of good threads around here, chockfull of information, including at least one I started when I was in your situation and trying to figure out how the watch worked.

From what I’ve experienced with my Apple Watch, and read from others, the following applies:

1. A cellular-equipped Apple watch will automatically do SOS Emergency calling — e.g., when you fall. That feature alone is easily worth $100 extra!

2. You don't need to have turned on cell service on the watch for that, nor have your phone with you or anywhere close.

3. You also don't need a cell plan to gain that advantage.

4. You don't even need to have your phone around for most watch functions!

5. The question about WiFi is a good one. Leaving it on drains the watch's battery big time vs. leaving it off. I get 3-4 days use from AW 7 that way. Of course, turning cellular on is an even bigger drain.

6. Toggling Bluetooth is a hassle, having to do a deep dive through menus. We just leave it off, even though people claim it's not much of battery drain.

7. You don't need BT on — or the iPhone nearby — to have a virtually fully functional watch, whether it's a cellular one or not. You won't get notifications or music streaming from your phone (or the aether!) in that situation — naturally — but you will get just about everything else!

Was there something in particular you wanted to do with the watch? If you offer your possible uses or hoped-for scenarios, we can give you specific advice.

Reactions: Night Spring

Sami13496

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2022
If
- I buy non-cellular model
- I turn Wi-Fi off
- I will have BT on and connected to my iPhone

Will I get notifications to my watch? Like iMessages, reminders, etc.?

ppetrovic

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2016
Belgrade, Serbia
Yes, you’ll get all notifications just fine as long as your watch stays within the Bluetooth range of your iPhone (unless you explicitly disable notifications for some of the apps in the Watch.app on the phone, obviously)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.