Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Andre Montagliani

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2024
I'm on the verge of updating my Mac mini (mid 2011) i7 2.0GHz server with a Samsung RAM (Samsung 16GB (2 x 8GB) 204-pin SODIMM, DDR3 PC3L-12800, 1600MHz ram Memory Module laptops (M471B1G73EB0-YK0 x 2) and Samsung SSD (Samsung 870 EVO 4TB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive). I understand that the recommended parts should come from OWC or Crucial to be sure everything works as it should, however all the Googling I've done about these 2 Samsung products hasn't shown me any reason to expect issues. Will this set up work or am I going to have problems I can't fix?

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Your 2011 Mac mini is from a time when Macs could still be upgraded with generic RAM and hard drives as long as the parts conform to a specification, it’s less about the brand name. Can’t think of any reason those parts won’t work. RAM might run at a lower speed (1333 MHz instead of 1600 MHz) but I’m not entirely sure about that.

Reactions: for this

Andre Montagliani

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2024
Cheers for that! I guess my next question now would be if the higher RAM will end up burning out the logic board or not?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
The RAM, although capable of a faster clock speed, should clock down to the speed of the bus. That's how it should work, anyway. The most likely other result would be that RAM won't work at all. If you install it, you will find out pretty quickly if it will work. If you can boot to your bootable installer, you should be OK.
As you will be going inside - you might also consider replacing the battery. It's been in there for 12 or 13 years (unless you have replaced it yourself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.