Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jm31828

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington
I just picked up a 10th gen iPad and want to get an Apple smart folio case/cover for it. I was curious if the 11" Air or Pro Smart Folios might actually work on this device, even though technically they are not listed by Apple as being compatible?

I ask because I like the colors on the folios for the Air better than what's offered for the 10th gen specifically, and I know the measurements are almost exactly the same for the two devices.

Thanks!

salamanderjuice

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2020
No, Apple moved the pogo pins on the iPad 10th gen (how the two connect) so even though it physically fits they won't connect. The 10th gen has the pins on the side, the Air/Pro have them on the back.

I'd consider a bluetooth keyboard + smart cover instead. More flexible and there's very little chance your keyboard will be useless if you get a new iPad or something happens to the one you have now.

jm31828

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington
No, Apple moved the pogo pins on the iPad 10th gen (how the two connect) so even though it physically fits they won't connect. The 10th gen has the pins on the side, the Air/Pro have them on the back.

I'd consider a bluetooth keyboard + smart cover instead. More flexible and there's very little chance your keyboard will be useless if you get a new iPad or something happens to the one you have now.
Ah, interesting- I didn't know these folio cases used those pins- I thought only the keyboard cases used those? Don't the regular folio cases simply use magnets to connect to the back of the device, and the front cover flips around over the screen, with a magnet that holds it closed over the screen? I didn't see anything in the store on this that would actually connect to those pins.

salamanderjuice

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2020
Ah, interesting- I didn't know these folio cases used those pins- I thought only the keyboard cases used those? Don't the regular folio cases simply use magnets to connect to the back of the device, and the front cover flips around over the screen, with a magnet that holds it closed over the screen? I didn't see anything in the store on this that would actually connect to those pins.
AH! My bad. Totally mis-read it as keyboard. They did move at least some magnets because of the new webcam position so it's possible it won't sleep when you close the lid because of it so that might be why it's not listed as compatible.

jm31828

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington
AH! My bad. Totally mis-read it as keyboard. They did move at least some magnets because of the new webcam position so it's possible it won't sleep when you close the lid because of it.
Oh no worries! I know the keyboard cases are more commonly discussed, so totally understood. :)

Interesting about the magnets, I hadn't thought of that- though I think both of these cases have the same magnetic flap that closes there on the right side of the screen. I think the 10th gen is very, very slightly thicker- so maybe that is what makes the Air case a no-go?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.