Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 20, 2018
USA
I currently have a 2017 MacBook Pro - 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, 2 TB3 ports, non-Touch Bar - and it works perfectly. I recently bought a Smart TV - TCL model 43S405 - to use with my Apple TV 4K. The Smart TV works great with the Apple TV, but I'm wondering if it would work as a 4K monitor for my MBP. The TV has 3 HDMI ports and yellow, white and red RCA jacks. There is no Display port.

I've never used a TV as a monitor before and I'm a bit confused. I was told by the sales person at Best Buy that I need a 4K HDMI cable because a regular HDMI cable won't display 4K on a 4K TV. I've also heard that using HDMI doesn't yield a good picture when used as a monitor with Apple computers. Is 4K possible at 60Hz when going through an HDMI cable with an Apple laptop?

If I can accomplish this task I will buy the Apple Magic Keyboard, and Magic Mouse, and use this MBP as a desktop machine when needed.

Can someone clear up my confusion? Can I use this 4K Smart TV as a 4K monitor with my MBP? What steps should I take? How do I get from USB Type-C (TB3) on the MBP to HDMI on the TV?

Last edited:

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 20, 2018
USA
It will work perfectly fine. Belkin has the adapter and cable for you

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/HKQ22ZM/A/belkin-usb-c-to-hdmi-adapter
Thank you! The product information leads me to believe that this adapter is all I need and will indeed deliver 4K@60Hz. I'm a little skeptical, but I'll try it and see. Thank you for posting that link.

I don't know why, but I was envisioning numerous dongles and cables just to get this done. I guess I've read too many "dongle hell" webpages.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Thank you! The product information leads me to believe that this adapter is all I need and will indeed deliver 4K@60Hz. I'm a little skeptical, but I'll try it and see. Thank you for posting that link.

I don't know why, but I was envisioning numerous dongles and cables just to get this done. I guess I've read too many "dongle hell" webpages.

Well, you may need another dongle when you want to get USB-A devices or SD cards working. So if you use any of those pick up a dongle that does all these and add it it to your kit. For me this has been the extent of "dongle hell".

Reactions: revmacian

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 20, 2018
USA
Well, you may need another dongle when you want to get USB-A devices or SD cards working. So if you use any of those pick up a dongle that does all these and add it it to your kit. For me this has been the extent of "dongle hell".
I guess I've been fortunate in that I've never obtained anything that needs USB-A other than my iPhone charging cable.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
For 4k, you need to be careful to connect the Mac to the HDMI 2.0 input on the tv.
The "2.0" is "the key".
"Lesser-numbered" input ports won't work.

Also, you -may- need a "high data rate" (high-speed) HDMI connecting cable between the USBc/HDMI adapter and the tv.

Some cables may not "pass" enough bandwith to support 4k.
(or so I've read)

Reactions: revmacian

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 20, 2018
USA
For 4k, you need to be careful to connect the Mac to the HDMI 2.0 input on the tv.
The "2.0" is "the key".
"Lesser-numbered" input ports won't work.

Also, you -may- need a "high data rate" (high-speed) HDMI connecting cable between the USBc/HDMI adapter and the tv.

Some cables may not "pass" enough bandwith to support 4k.
(or so I've read)
Ah, thank you.. didn't know about the HDMI 2.0.. will look for that.

As for the high-data-rate HDMI cable, yes.. I've heard the same and will keep that in mind when looking for a cable - I think this is what that Best Buy employee was talking about.

I thought I was done learning about cables and such.. I guess that never ends.

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 20, 2018
USA
Ok, it turns out that all 3 HDMI inputs on this 4K TV are HDMI 2.0 and support HDR. I currently have an Apple TV 4K connected to it and the picture is beautiful, it should make a nice monitor for my MacBook Pro.

I'll need:
The Belkin adapter (thank you @robvas )
The Belkin cable (thank you @robvas )
Apple Magic Keyboard
Apple Magic Trackpad

Also, thanks to @jerryk and @Fishrrman for the help in making this a reality for me. I've seen some MBP setups that have the MBP in clamshell mode and use a TV/Monitor with a keyboard and mouse to yield a full desktop workstation and I like that type of setup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.