Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 23, 2006
UK
I set up my LaCie USB 2.0 External as a scratch disk, and when i attempted to capture some DV, Final Cut Pro froze on me.

I had to force quit, and start up again with my internal HD as the scratch disk.

Am i right in thinking that USB 2.0 is not fast up to it?

Should i get a firewire enclosure and another HD?

Thanks,

Rich.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
is it a 2.5" disk or a 3.5" disk, if the latter then maybe, but i'd prefer firewire.

tuartboy

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
I have used both USB 2.0 and Firewire as a scratch with no problem. And by no problem I mean that USB worked, but was slow enough and drew up enough CPU cycles on my system that it couldn't scrub at any better than 1fps or so.

I bought a 320Gb FW external and it works flawlessly.

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 23, 2006
UK
Thanks guys, question answered.

I'm gonna get a FireWire.

I am paranoid about my HD in my PowerBook being under too much stress and crashing. I have a assessments in a month so i can't afford for a failed HD.

I'll get a FireWire HD, use that as the scratch disk, and take that into University and edit on the PowerMac G5's.

Thanks once again,

Rich.

tuartboy

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
fatsoforgotso said:
I'll get a FireWire HD, use that as the scratch disk, and take that into University and edit on the PowerMac G5's.
Just a warning: I have had occasional issues with FCP giving a general error on file loads doing this exact thing. It has to do with the file being created and used by different versions of FCP. If you try this, make sure your version is exactly the same as that of your school's to prevent it from being a problem.

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 23, 2006
UK
tuartboy said:
Just a warning: I have had occasional issues with FCP giving a general error on file loads doing this exact thing. It has to do with the file being created and used by different versions of FCP. If you try this, make sure your version is exactly the same as that of your school's to prevent it from being a problem.

Wow, ok, i didn't know that!

Thanks for the advice, that's really helpful.

You'd think that since Apple have released so many different versions, they would all be made compatible flawlessly.

Thanks!

Rich.

tuartboy

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
fatsoforgotso said:
Wow, ok, i didn't know that!

Thanks for the advice, that's really helpful.

You'd think that since Apple have released so many different versions, they would all be made compatible flawlessly.

Thanks!

Rich.
Yeah, I got hosed on a project back in january. Ended up being over 24 hours past the deadline. Autosave vault on the other computer saved my butt, but I won't make that mistake again.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
fatsoforgotso said:

Why?
That's like calling Ford and asking, "Why are the parts on my '65 Mustang and '05 Mustang not compatible?"

Like most applications, files made in older versions can typically be opened up in newer versions, but files made in new versions can't be opened up in older versions.

This is also one reason why no one making money w/FCP (or really any a/v software) will change app versions in the middle of a project unless they absolutely have to.

Lethal

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 23, 2006
UK
LethalWolfe said:
Why?
That's like calling Ford and asking, "Why are the parts on my '65 Mustang and '05 Mustang not compatible?"

Like most applications, files made in older versions can typically be opened up in newer versions, but files made in new versions can't be opened up in older versions.

This is also one reason why no one making money w/FCP (or really any a/v software) will change app versions in the middle of a project unless they absolutely have to.

Lethal

Yeah that's a pretty poor comparison, since there is not a 40 year gap between FCP releases.

What is with the car analogies anyway? It is completely different since we were talking software not hardware compatibility.

Rich.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
fatsoforgotso said:
Yeah that's a pretty poor comparison, since there is not a 40 year gap between FCP releases.
It's called hyperbole. How about this, try and fit the grill from a '05 Mustang on an '04.

What is with the car analogies anyway? It is completely different since we were talking software not hardware compatibility.
It's not "completely different" because there can be software incompatibilities between generations of programs that are as drastic as hardware incompatibilities can be between generations of cars (hence my use of the analogy). Asking Apple to make every version of FCP 100% compatible is akin to asking a car maker to make all generations of a particular model 100% compatible. Just because you can't physically see the software incompatibles like you can hardware incompatibilities doesn't mean they don't exist.

Lethal

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
Hector said:
the next person who makes a car analogy i'm going to shoot

Surely you mean you'll charge them a fiver or more for congestion ;)

fatsoforgotso said:

Rich.

Seemed like an acceptable analogy to me. Besides, hardware you can usually beat into shape with a hammer. Software you have to spend a bloody fortune and it's still has a load of bugs....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.