Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GibbyNLA

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2006
Hey all, I did a hack on a 2,1 8 core mac to run El Cap, I am replacing it with a used 2010 12 core, can I just pull out the bootup disk from the hacked 2,1 (with El Capitan) and install it as the bootup for the 12 core, AS IS, with all the existing files and hacked El Cap on it? I plan to mirror/duplicate this bootup and test out High Sierra later on the the machine. Any info is appreciated.

Thank you,
G

LuisN

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2013
Torres Vedras, Portugal
Hey all, I did a hack on a 2,1 8 core mac to run El Cap, I am replacing it with a used 2010 12 core, can I just pull out the bootup disk from the hacked 2,1 (with El Capitan) and install it as the bootup for the 12 core, AS IS, with all the existing files and hacked El Cap on it? I plan to mirror/duplicate this bootup and test out High Sierra later on the the machine. Any info is appreciated.

Thank you,
G
No. The only way is to replace your 32 bit efi.boot files with the original ones or it won't boot

GibbyNLA

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2006
No. The only way is to replace your 32 bit efi.boot files with the original ones or it won't boot
Thanks for the info, I saved to a time machine backup and used that backup on a fresh install of El Cap.

Reactions: LuisN

cap_walker_666

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2020

Thank you,
G
I ned an El Cap for a 3.0, is it available ?

cap_walker_666

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2020
I really need a better spell check LOL

Actually (I'm hoping more folks chime in) a properly prepared boot usb (per apple instructions) with EL CAP on it won't boot. I've had this problem before when any other boor manager (linux or rEFI) is run first. My fix had been to just erase the drive using disk utility. But without anything bootable, I can't do that.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
"I ned an El Cap for a 3.0, is it available ?"
I really need a better spell check LOL

Actually (I'm hoping more folks chime in) a properly prepared boot usb (per apple instructions) with EL CAP on it won't boot. I've had this problem before when any other boor manager (linux or rEFI) is run first. My fix had been to just erase the drive using disk utility. But without anything bootable, I can't do that.
Keep in mind that "3.0" is your cpu, not the model identifier for your MacPro. As others have determined in your other thread, you have a MacPro1,1 - with dual 3.0 GHz CPUs. You can't run El Capitan natively on a MP1,1. You are limited to Lion (OS X 10.7.5), as your highest OS X version for an unpatched boot system. Tiger is possible, but Leopard or Snow Leopard are probably the easiest to find. (Apple's steps certainly should give you a bootable installer for El Cap, but not one that you can use with a MP1,1 without other patching. Apple won't help you with that... )

cap_walker_666

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2020
"I ned an El Cap for a 3.0, is it available ?"

Keep in mind that "3.0" is your cpu, not the model identifier for your MacPro. As others have determined in your other thread, you have a MacPro1,1 - with dual 3.0 GHz CPUs. You can't run El Capitan natively on a MP1,1. You are limited to Lion (OS X 10.7.5), as your highest OS X version for an unpatched boot system. Tiger is possible, but Leopard or Snow Leopard are probably the easiest to find. (Apple's steps certainly should give you a bootable installer for El Cap, but not one that you can use with a MP1,1 without other patching. Apple won't help you with that... )
one thing about forums, the date/time of messages. that post was from when I believed it was a 3.0...

Now I'm trying to find why the only usb boot is the snow leopard install, not the el cap. I mean read not necessarily install...

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
If you can't boot from El Cap (and you cannot boot from El Cap without a patched installer), then it may not appear as a choice

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.