Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bscheffel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
So I understand that MacOS iTunes is now migrating to the MacOS Apple Music app but I assume that the Music app in MacOS is still required to manage ex-iTunes music libraries?

Specifically - I buy lossless music and manually add ALAC files to my iTunes library. I would love to ditch the MacBook completely and use my iPad Pro to manage my music library but I assume that the Music app in iOS 13 still can't do this? I was hoping that since the Mac now uses (in name at least) the same "Music" app as iOS that the iOS Music app would gain some old iTunes capabilities like add music to libraries...

Can someone confirm if iOS 13 Music app gains any new features?

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
You are correct. The iPad music application is unchanged other than the lyrics feature or perhaps a few design tweaks. The macOS Music app retains the functionality of iTunes and will still be needed to manage a library that is external to Apple Music or the iTunes store.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
No. It is not possible. And given Apple’s fierce stance on streaming, I don’t see this happening.

bscheffel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
No. It is not possible. And given Apple’s fierce stance on streaming, I don’t see this happening.
Well the other option would be for Apple to start supporting ALAC format in iTunes Store so I could buy lossless right from my iPad - then I wouldn't be forced to buy my music from Bandcamp, Qobuz, 7Digital, Beatport, etc.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Well the other option would be for Apple to start supporting ALAC format in iTunes Store so I could buy lossless right from my iPad - then I wouldn't be forced to buy my music from Bandcamp, Qobuz, 7Digital, Beatport, etc.
I cannot say this possibility is ruled out but I personally don’t see many people fond of lossless music purchase or such. With that being said, I also want Apple to allow me to buy lossless version (CD quality, 24bit/92KHz, DSD, you name it) from iTunes Store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.