Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
I've discovered couple of days ago that while iOS' Core Location gives you information on speed, latitude, longitude, altitude, etc... it does not actually give you any information about satellites; such as how many satellites are visible, which ones are used (GPS, GLONASS), what's they location, how good is the signal.

I was wondering how this has changed in iOS 8, if any developer can answer.

A side note; Windows Phone does not provide the satellite information either.

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
Thank You!

I wonder why do they block that information...

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Thank You!

I wonder why do they block that information...

What do you mean "block that information?" Why would they have it, and why would they bother showing it?

Why would Apple know the satellites? Wouldn't it be dependent on your carrier, as it's their network that you're on?

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Why would Apple know the satellites? Wouldn't it be dependent on your carrier, as it's their network that you're on?

He's asking about GPS satellites, which have nothing to do with your cell carrier.

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
Yes, it's GPS satellites that I'm talking about,

It's just another cool information to have; it's interesting to know how many satellites there are in use, which constellation are they, how good is the signal.

Here's a screenshot from Android.

H7U_DWBcLhQqelGWCiNywqcSyFnp67h_HywE51SvbTj1i8-0XMWV6s9DcsXsqDApcDI=h900

----------

It's not blocked. You just need an app to get to it. Here's one I found: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bluetooth-gps-status-tool/id422661436?mt=8

That's from an external GPS, so they're using their own software.

You can't get the same info from an internal one.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
That's from an external GPS, so they're using their own software. You can't get the same info from an internal one.

Darn. I just looked at the picture. Apparently, Apple's CoreLocation API doesn't give access to GPS specifics.

VacTacks11

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2009
This is something I've always wanted - access to the GPS location.

It's so freely given in the Android platform - I can't understand why it wouldn't be available on iOS.

MorphMan

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2013
I'd like it too but the reason Apple doesn't provide it is that you're supposed to be detached from the many possible ways Apple works out where you are. They could be using any number of systems or a custom combination of all of them.

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
This is something I've always wanted - access to the GPS location.

It's so freely given in the Android platform - I can't understand why it wouldn't be available on iOS.

It's just not something that most people need or even want. It's one of those "nice to have" things, and "nice to have" things get added to iOS whenever Apple feels like it, if they feel like it at all. Kind of like that slide at the end of the iOS part of WWDC keynotes where they list all the hundreds of new features in very small font.

Topher227

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
Chicago, IL
I had 'GPS Status and Toolbox' on all my android phones, mainly because they would have trouble getting a fix (it would download A-GPS data or something, making a fix easier).

I guess I never looked for a constellation style GPS app for iPhone because fixes have always been pretty immediate? Sounds fanboy'ish, but thats probably the best answer, ha.

I use 'GPS Status' whenever i've needed basic GPS data (elevation, speed, lat/lon, and fix status) on my iPhone. It hasn't been updated in years, but it gets the job done.

daviddth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2009
Australia
It's just not something that most people need or even want. It's one of those "nice to have" things, and "nice to have" things get added to iOS whenever Apple feels like it, if they feel like it at all. Kind of like that slide at the end of the iOS part of WWDC keynotes where they list all the hundreds of new features in very small font.

I can think of one very good reason. I fly GPS Enabled quad and hexcopters and sometimes I get data from way fewer GPS Satellites than I would like and expect. It would be nice to fire up an App on the iPhone and be able to see what GPS Satellites were available according to the iPhone, and see if it can receive a signal from them too.

I would probably use this sort of data 2-3 times a week at least.

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
I can think of one very good reason. I fly GPS Enabled quad and hexcopters and sometimes I get data from way fewer GPS Satellites than I would like and expect. It would be nice to fire up an App on the iPhone and be able to see what GPS Satellites were available according to the iPhone, and see if it can receive a signal from them too.

I would probably use this sort of data 2-3 times a week at least.

That's a very good reason for you, but the vast majority of people don't need that data. I'm pretty sure it would be easy for Apple to include this feature in iOS, so there's probably another reason why they don't support it. If there's not, then they should definitely enable it.

hurenkam

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2015
That's a very good reason for you, but the vast majority of people don't need that data. I'm pretty sure it would be easy for Apple to include this feature in iOS, so there's probably another reason why they don't support it. If there's not, then they should definitely enable it.
As an outdoor enthusiast (i guess that's a bigger target group), I'm also interested in this info. In urban environments the Apple approach works well, and there is no need for detailed GPS info, but when I'm out on a forrested mountain face, detailed satellite info helps in deciding how to reposition myself for a better GPS fix.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.