Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
Seems like everyday my iOS device, whether iPad or iPhone has updates and it's a pain to go into the app store app everyday on each device and update all...can't my iOS device just do it automatically for me somehow?

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
Seems like everyday my iOS device, whether iPad or iPhone has updates and it's a pain to go into the app store app everyday on each device and update all...can't my iOS device just do it automatically for me somehow?

It only updates if you synch it after the Apps have been updated on your computer have been updated. But, as far updating without synching, I believe there is no way around that.

You can, however, have it automatically download recently purchased apps onto your iDevices. But, it will on install with the current version.

JManJapan

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2012
Automatic iOS app updates after synching with automatic updated apps in iTunes?

It only updates if you synch it after the Apps have been updated on your computer have been updated. But, as far updating without synching, I believe there is no way around that.

You can, however, have it automatically download recently purchased apps onto your iDevices. But, it will on install with the current version.

Thanks a lot ThatOneGuy!!

Can you expand a bit on what you mean by iDevices? Is that the same as the iOS devices listed in iTunes (when syncing, wirelessly or not)?

Since I have iOS 5.0.1 on both my iPhone and iPad, would iTunes be able to automatically update both of my iOS devices (wirelessly), when they are close enough to my MBP to sync?

Many thanks in advance!!

J
:apple:

Arelunde

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2011
CA Central Coast
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Trust me - you don't want your apps to automatically update in the background.

This is an option with Market on Android devices. Background updates can totally brick your phone at unpredictable times ... too often when you are in midst of something important. Granted this might be an Android-related issue, but app downloads demand a lot of device attention.

It's much better to check with App Store periodically and download updates when convenient. BTW, an app update that involves iPhone and iPad WILL update both at the same time if both are turned on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.