Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lemimouth

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 14, 2015
A few months ago I did a clean install of Ventura by booting in DFU mode and restoring the IPSW firmware with Apple Configurator.

Can this method be used to only update Ventura (eg. from 13.1 to 13.2 RC), and not restoring the whole Mac ? I don't have a second Mac on hand and every information I find regarding IPSW is for restoring only

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
A few months ago I did a clean install of Ventura by booting in DFU mode and restoring the IPSW firmware with Apple Configurator.

Can this method be used to only update Ventura (eg. from 13.1 to 13.2 RC), and not restoring the whole Mac ? I don't have a second Mac on hand and every information I find regarding IPSW is for restoring only
What you've read is correct. IPSW files cannot be used to update the OS unless you are doing a full restore.

Enjoylife1788

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2011
Is there any way to update a Mac without OTA? I mean with a complete file from App Store or IPSW also?

galad

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2022
Yes, download the full installer from the App Store or with softwareupdate cli command.

Reactions: Isamilis

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Is there any way to update a Mac without OTA? I mean with a complete file from App Store or IPSW also?
The ipsw file is only useful to do a total erase and restore. It can’t be used for updating. You can download a full installer several ways, including the App Store to do an installation. The computer will still need to be connected to the internet during the installation process to activate, however, so a standalone installer can’t work fully offline, in case that’s something you want to do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.