Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GermaphobeUltima

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2020
Hello everyone! I don’t post too often but this has been bugging me a lot lately.

Recently, I decided to clean my iPhone 11 with Lysol wipes (first time doing this). After wiping it down, I used a water drenched piece of paper towel to wipe it again afterwards.

Is the adhesive that keeps the iPhone 11 waterproof damaged due to this?

I am very aware of the oleophobic coating situation, however, I’m more concerned about the water-resistance of my phone after the cleaning.

Thanks guys!

GermaphobeUltima

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2020
Yikes, everything I’ve ever read about cleaning an iPhone screen warns against this.
Yeah I’ve read up a lot on it too. I had a screen protector though, but I am more concerned about the adhesive gasket that makes the phone water resistant.

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
Many years ago Apple recommended Lysol wipes as a safe way to disinfect Mac hardware (keyboards, mice, etc.). They do not recommend such things for cleaning the iPhone 11, but it's primarily because of the oleophobic coating. Could it harm the waterproofing as well? Probably not a single treatment with a wipe... especially since you gave it a plain water wipedown. Paper towels are not recommended because they aren't lint-free like microfiber. Some can even be slightly abrasive.

Unfortunately Apple's cleaning instructions probably aren't going to leave many of us feeling like our iPhones are properly disinfected during flu season. Microfiber alone doesn't seem like enough (although I saw a test once that said it was more effective at removing germs than you would think). A damp microfiber is better, but they advise using distilled water for the screen. wiping down wiht soapy water followed by plain distilled water is better still, but some handsoaps are harsher than others. One approach is to use a case and screen protector you can clean anyway you want and then replace or toss if they wear out due to harsh cleaning... but it's kind of sad that Apple won't address the question of disinfecting a caseless iPhone. There are the UV light cleaners like PhoneSoap. The reputable brands get good reviews on tests, but they are expensive (but maybe worth it if you want to keep all your small pocketable items disinfected).

Reactions: GermaphobeUltima

GermaphobeUltima

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2020
Many years ago Apple recommended Lysol wipes as a safe way to disinfect Mac hardware (keyboards, mice, etc.). They do not recommend such things for cleaning the iPhone 11, but it's primarily because of the oleophobic coating. Could it harm the waterproofing as well? Probably not a single treatment with a wipe... especially since you gave it a plain water wipedown. Paper towels are not recommended because they aren't lint-free like microfiber. Some can even be slightly abrasive.

Unfortunately Apple's cleaning instructions probably aren't going to leave many of us feeling like our iPhones are properly disinfected during flu season. Microfiber alone doesn't seem like enough (although I saw a test once that said it was more effective at removing germs than you would think). A damp microfiber is better, but they advise using distilled water for the screen. wiping down wiht soapy water followed by plain distilled water is better still, but some handsoaps are harsher than others. One approach is to use a case and screen protector you can clean anyway you want and then replace or toss if they wear out due to harsh cleaning... but it's kind of sad that Apple won't address the question of disinfecting a caseless iPhone. There are the UV light cleaners like PhoneSoap. The reputable brands get good reviews on tests, but they are expensive (but maybe worth it if you want to keep all your small pocketable items disinfected).
Thank you so much for the depth of your answer! I will definitely contain the cleaning to only the case and screen protector next time!
[automerge]1580423940[/automerge]
I doubt it would affect anything but the screens coating unless you soaked rubbed a high % alcohol on it frequently
That’s what I thought too. It seems like one application of the wipe shouldn’t be harmful for the adhesive gasket.

Reactions: sean000

Lekro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2019
Even if you apply alcohol to the adhesive, once it dries up (fairly quick with alcohol), it will stick again like before.

This is how we remove back glasses for Samsung phones. The adhesive usually stays intact and can be reapplied if it is proper protected while the back panel is off of the phone.

The same can’t be said for iPhones because you can’t apply alcohol to the adhesive since it screws up the backlight of the LCD models because you get into the phone from the display not the back. So every repair needs a new adhesive to be applied.

TLDR: Your adhesive under the display is fine.

Reactions: GermaphobeUltima

GermaphobeUltima

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2020
Don’t use Lysol wipes. Actually, there are specific sanitizing wipes that you can use for phones that are completely safe for displays and effective.
Gotcha. I’ll go look for those!
[automerge]1580480760[/automerge]
Even if you apply alcohol to the adhesive, once it dries up (fairly quick with alcohol), it will stick again like before.

This is how we remove back glasses for Samsung phones. The adhesive usually stays intact and can be reapplied if it is proper protected while the back panel is off of the phone.

The same can’t be said for iPhones because you can’t apply alcohol to the adhesive since it screws up the backlight of the LCD models because you get into the phone from the display not the back. So every repair needs a new adhesive to be applied.

TLDR: Your adhesive under the display is fine.
Okay that’s great haha. Thanks for your insight on the whole process!

DevinNj

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
You can always try one of those UV sanitizing devices. I have a friend in the medical field that swears by those, not just for cell phones but other household gadgets as well. IDK if there's any merit to them or not, but it's a thought.

Lekro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2019
Gotcha. I’ll go look for those!
[automerge]1580480760[/automerge]

Okay that’s great haha. Thanks for your insight on the whole process!
I forgot to add to my post that I didn't mean to say you should continue using lysol wipes. I just said this one time probably didn't cause any damage to the seal. Do as Relentless Power advised.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.