Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JazzyGB1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 18, 2002
UK
Hi,
I've a classic Mac Pro 2009 which is currently connected to an Apple 27" cinema display which I use to run Logic X to write music - it's 2560 by 1440 resolution is great.
I saw a Dell 32" 4k display at a graphics design company recently and thought it looked awesome.
I really like the idea of having a huge screen like that but I'm unsure if I could run such a monitor from my Mac Pro.
It currently only has the stock NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 512MB graphics card installed (which has display port and DVI connections), would this be able to power the Dell?
If not, what's the minimum spec graphics card I need to get to run it?
The Dell's highest resolution is 3840 x 2160.
I'm really not good on graphics card side of things, so any help would be gratefully received - thanks :)

-VoiceOfReason-

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2010
You would need to upgrade the graphics card to one that supports 4k output. There are plenty of these cards available, the choices depend on your tech skill and wallet.

1. Easiest choice is to get a "Mac Edition" graphics card such as the Nvidia GTX 680 Mac Edition which will work right away. These are usually the most expensive

2. Medium difficulty choice is to get a Nvidia graphics card which supports the Nvidia web driver, but you will not any video output until OSX finishes booting. Less expensive

3. Hardest choice would be to find a PC graphics card which you flash the Mac Edition BIOS onto. Gives you boot screen and native OSX support. Lower price than than option 1. but more than 2., MacVidCards sells cards like this which have already been modified.

You will have to do some research to determine the best option for you. Other caveats include only 30Hz output in certain setups.

Last edited:
Reactions: CapnDavey and TonyK

JazzyGB1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 18, 2002
UK
You would need to upgrade the graphics card to one that supports 4k output. There are plenty of these cards available, the choices depend on your tech skill and wallet.

1. Easiest choice is to get a "Mac Edition" graphics card such as the Nvidia GTX 680 Mac Edition which will work right away. These are usually the most expensive

2. Medium difficulty choice is to get a Nvidia graphics card which supports the Nvidia web driver, but you will not any video output until OSX finishes booting. Less expensive

3. Hardest choice would be to find a PC graphics card which you flash the Mac Edition BIOS onto. Gives you boot screen and native OSX support. Lower price than than option 1. but more than 2., MacVidCards sells cards like this which have already been modified.

You will have to do some research to determine the best option for you. Other caveats include only 30Hz output in certain setups.

That's really helpful - thanks very much! :)

prvt.donut

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2008

What setups allow for the 60hz option

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.