Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

greenupso4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2023
I have a MacBook Pro mid 2010 I bought it used and it worked great, had a new 512 ssd installed an was upgraded to 16gb of ram.
I decided to take the plunge and get me a new MacBook Air 2021 with M1 chip. My old MacBook Pro became laggy and was moving slow. So I decided to do a full clean re install of high Sierra. After erasing everything I booted to disk utility and tried to download high Sierra. Yet every time I try this I get the server can not be contacted error. I have ran first aid with no issues. I am new to tech stuff on Macs as I am coming from windows. Tried to make a bootable USB but I can not get high Sierra on my new Mac.i have tried multiple things I have saw online with no success. also I have been trying these things for 2 weeks now. What is my best bet here. As I stated before I am very new to the Mac world. I there a place I can go and just download the installer for high Sierra? should I try to buy a copy? Is my old MacBook just toast? I may add, when I do boot to disk utility I can go to the help tab and access the internet with it. I have 1gb fiber on my provider.

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
Other people have been having the same issue recently, I think Apple might've pulled the High Sierra stuff from their servers. There's a tool called Mist where you can download macOS installers, regardless if they're compatible on the machine or not. On your M1, using Mist, download a copy of High Sierra, which should show up in the list by default. If it doesn't, make sure "Only show compatible versions" is unchecked.

So download that to your Applications folder and hook up a USB drive 16 GB or bigger. Then...
  1. Locate the installer, which should be in your Applications folder, and open Terminal
  2. type in sudo and then drag and drop the High Sierra installer into the terminal window. Append /Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume [drag USB drive icon into Terminal window] --nointeractioin
Hit Enter, and it should work. Just make sure the final command looks like this:

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/creatinstallmedia --volume [name of drive] --nointeraction

Make sense?

Reactions: greenupso4

greenupso4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2023
Other people have been having the same issue recently, I think Apple might've pulled the High Sierra stuff from their servers. There's a tool called Mist where you can download macOS installers, regardless if they're compatible on the machine or not. On your M1, using Mist, download a copy of High Sierra, which should show up in the list by default. If it doesn't, make sure "Only show compatible versions" is unchecked.

So download that to your Applications folder and hook up a USB drive 16 GB or bigger. Then...
  1. Locate the installer, which should be in your Applications folder, and open Terminal
  2. type in sudo and then drag and drop the High Sierra installer into the terminal window. Append /Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume [drag USB drive icon into Terminal window] --nointeractioin
Hit Enter, and it should work. Just make sure the final command looks like this:

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/creatinstallmedia --volume [name of drive] --nointeraction

Make sense?
I am on mist now. As I stated I am very new to the Mac ecosystem but I am trying my best to learn. I am an old dog trying to learn new tricks. I will try this and see how I works out. I really appreciate your answering soon.

Reactions: rm5
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.