Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VideoBeagle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
App Q&A testing by request.
I'm attempting to install Fortnite from the Epic Game Store to do some testing of performance for a project.

It has an install option and at least seems to start, but gives me there's not enough space on my drive, error. (So, I don't think it's an epic vs apple thing).

Screen Shot 2020-12-01 at 8.45.30 PM.png

According to finder, I have around 140gigs
Screen Shot 2020-12-01 at 8.45.39 PM.png

Get Info on the drive shines some light on things...

Screen Shot 2020-12-01 at 8.55.15 PM.png

This 88 gigs of "purgeable" data seems to be the issue. I've read up on it, and it's "files the mac thinks can be deleted, and it'll do that as needed".

I found instructions for dealing with the problem on the epic side:
https://www.reddit.com/r/FORTnITE/comments/d7o2vn
but following them didn't help.

The three options for clearing the purgable data I've found is to use the storage options to optimize storage which I did, and it did nothing, a terminal thing where you just download mass data to force it away, then delete the mass data...and using something like CleanMyMac, which I'd rather not bother with because..well, I've been on this forum a lonnnnnng time.

SO MY QUESTION(S) IS: Might this problem be because of the Epic/Apple beef and I should just find another Unreal Engine game to do my testing with? IS there a way to get this solved without the nuking from orbit options?

Brian33

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
USA (Virginia)
Do you have Time Machine turned on? If so, much of the purgeable space may be taken up by local snapshots.

If you are familiar with Terminal commands, this will display TM's local snapshots on your boot disk (although it doesn't list the size):
tmutil listlocalsnapshots /

On this page Apple says you can delete local snapshots by turning off TM temporarily:
If you want to delete local snapshots manually, turn off Time Machine temporarily:

1. Open Time Machine preferences from the Time Machine menu
    tm_idle.png
    in the menu bar. Or choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, then click Time Machine.
  2. Deselect ”Back Up Automatically” or click the Off/On switch, depending on what you see in Time Machine preferences.
  3. Wait a few minutes to allow the local snapshots to be deleted. Then turn on Time Machine again. It remembers your backup disks.

If that doesn't work, some people have used:
sudo tmutil thinLocalSnapshots / 10000000000 4

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.