Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ehfz

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2013
In iOS 12, can notifications be swiped away with a single gesture or does this action still require a swipe followed by a confirm buttom tap? I'm excited by group notifications in iOS 12 but being able to easily swipe away gestures without a confirm action is another thing I am hoping Apple implements (this is the way Android does it and in my opinion it contributes to being able to more easily and quickly parse and dismiss notifications).

gforce216

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
In iOS 12, can notifications be swiped away with a single gesture or does this action still require a swipe followed by a confirm buttom tap? I'm excited by group notifications in iOS 12 but being able to easily swipe away gestures without a confirm action is another thing I am hoping Apple implements (this is the way Android does it and in my opinion it contributes to being able to more easily and quickly parse and dismiss notifications).

I don't have iOS 12, but you can KINDA swipe away with one gesture already in iOS 11. You just need to start far enough over to the right on your screen and swipe right to left completely. The notification does swipe away. It'll pop up the buttons but if you keep swiping over it'll just clear it.

Reactions: BrianBaughn

TheSkywalker77

macrumors 68030
Sep 9, 2017
If you start the swipe as far to the right of the notification as possible and continue until you hit the edge of the phone you should be able to. It is harder with the Manage button tho.

alexmarchuk

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2007
New Jersey
I don't have iOS 12, but you can KINDA swipe away with one gesture already in iOS 11. You just need to start far enough over to the right on your screen and swipe right to left completely. The notification does swipe away. It'll pop up the buttons but if you keep swiping over it'll just clear it.
Doesn’t work on iOS 12 because you get these options (Manage, View and Clear). 3D Touch and swipe down has a message saying “dismiss”. It’s really not much work to be honest, alternatively you can use the X to clear all.
[doublepost=1528289888][/doublepost]
If you start the swipe as far to the right of the notification as possible and continue until you hit the edge of the phone you should be able to. It is harder with the Manage button tho.
Nope, just summons the camera screen.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Doesn’t work on iOS 12 because you get these options (Manage, View and Clear). 3D Touch and swipe down has a message saying “dismiss”. It’s really not much work to be honest, alternatively you can use the X to clear all.
[doublepost=1528289888][/doublepost]
Nope, just summons the camera screen.

That's what I thought - that it's not possible now with the manage as one of the options showing when swiping to the left. But I kept swiping right to the very edge of the screen and it actually cleared it like you can in iOS 11. However, it was pretty challenging to do that. I'm sure they'll tweak it during the betas.

alexmarchuk

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2007
New Jersey
That's what I thought - that it's not possible now with the manage as one of the options showing when swiping to the left. But I kept swiping right to the very edge of the screen and it actually cleared it like you can in iOS 11. However, it was pretty challenging to do that. I'm sure they'll tweak it during the betas.
Nah I don’t think so. Not on the iPhone X at least.
[doublepost=1528296353][/doublepost]
I said the notification, not the edge of the screen. :p
There is a good 1/6 of an inch that it will react to the camera rather than the swipe to view more options for the notification..

Last edited:

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Nah I don’t think so. Not on the iPhone X at least.
[doublepost=1528296353][/doublepost]
There is a good 1/6 of an inch that it will react to the camera rather than the swipe to view more options for the notification..

It was on the iPhone X that I just did it. Though it's very awkward to get it to slide all the way over for it to actually clear.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Seems like that's there in iOS 11 right now already.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.