Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sfphoto

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2010
In the past one needed to port their at&t landline to an at&t cell phone THEN one could port the number to Google Voice.

Has that changed? Can a landline be ported directly?

Lsmachado

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2018
Texas
In the past one needed to port their at&t landline to an at&t cell phone THEN one could port the number to Google Voice.

Has that changed? Can a landline be ported directly?
I found this on Google:
”You can't port a landline phone number directly to Google Voice. Instead, you need to port your landline number to a mobile carrier. Once your landline phone number is recognized as a mobile number, then it can be ported to Google Voice. The one-time porting fee to Google Voice is $20.”

I saw other articles regarding forwarding calls from a landline to GV, but this is all I really found regarding porting a landline number.

sfphoto

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2010
> You can't port a landline phone number directly to Google Voice

Thanks LS, I had seen that plus also some site where someone did port their home phone but I think they had a VOIP phone.

Gale Sondergaard (originally cast as the Wicked Witch).jpg

Above from: https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2022/12/05/what-hollywoods-ultimate-oral-history-reveals

Reactions: Lsmachado

Sorinut

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2015
I ported my parents landline to GV. I had to go though a middle-man..Bought a really cheap pre-paid at&t sim, ported to that, activated, then ported to GV the next day.

They are still using their landline with an ObiHai. No phone bill.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.