Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Original poster
I was able to see and play with an iPad Pro today at my local store......it's GORGEOUS! Couldn't buy one this afternoon since the store was out of inventory. However, I don't like the keyboard Apple is pushing with it. I much prefer using a separate BT keyboard, which is what I do with my iPad Air 2 some of the time -- the device is on a stand on a table in front of me and I have the BT keyboard paired with it and use it just as I would if I were typing on a desktop or a notebook machine.

On the way home from the store the question belatedly occurred to me, something I could have and should have, asked at the store: Can one use the new BT "Magic Keyboard" with the iPad Pro? I'm asking since I just bought said new keyboard for use at home with either my iMac or my MBP. I notice in the booklet that comes with the device that it specifically mentions working with El Capitan as opposed to earlier Mac OS. Not a problem as far as that goes, all my Macs are on El Capitan. However.....this made me wonder again whether or not the new keyboard would work with the iPad Pro or or if I'd have to revert back to the older BT keyboard.

If the new "Magic Keyboard" doesn't work with the iPad Pro (or possibly any other iPad), what about the "older" BT keyboard, the one that I've been successfully using with my iPad Air 2 and at times even the iPad Mini....? Will the older one still continue to pair up as a BT device with the new iPad Pro? I know it works just fine with my iPad Air 2, and would hate to lose the flexibility in positioning, etc., that can be had with a keyboard that does not attach directly to the iPad.

Last edited:
Reactions: AdonisSMU

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Original poster
Thank you! Just what I needed to know! :) My older 2-battery model will now be repurposed once I get the iPad Pro! :) I actually also have the even older 3-battery model, and that one I've been using with the iPad Air 2. Since I plan to keep the Air 2 even after getting the iPad Pro, things will work out really well. Great, now I have even better justification for having gone ahead today and bought the new "Magic Keyboard" for my Macs, and so far it's working quite nicely!

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Original poster
Will do once I am able to actually purchase an iPad Pro! It was a little frustrating today in the store being able to play with the display models and realizing that due to lack of inventory I couldn't just say, "I'll take one home....." Maybe in a few days, a week, whatever...... There's a 128 GB Space Black with Cellular (AT&T) out there that has my name on it......LOL!

JD2015

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014

sparkie1984

macrumors 68030
Dec 20, 2009
a small village near London
I was wondering whether it's worth picking up the apple keyboard and a Smart Cover instead of their keyboard cover.

Does anyone know if the keyboards brightness controls etc control the iPads brightness/volume?

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Original poster
This is great! Thanks, guys! I guess when I buy my iPad Pro I'll be picking up a new Magic Keyboard, too -- I really like the one I'm currently using with my Mac. I could of course repurpose the old BT keyboard that I'd been using previously but since I'm so fond of this new keyboard and the fact that it doesn't require batteries I think one would be ideal with the iPad Pro.

Hellenek

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2007
Well, how well has this combo worked? I'm also considering the iPad Pro with Magic keyboard instead of getting the smart keyboard.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I am interested as well. The Create keyboard did not work out because of its weight and the ASK ain't cheap either.

BUT I would still would want the Smart Cover for the IPP so the total dollar difference spent would be moot with this alternative.

Mcdevidr

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2013
The magic keyboard works great with the iPad pro. I'll be writing all my school papers with this combo. Get a nice stand to lift the pro up closer to eye level and you got a great computing machine for certain tasks.

Reactions: Night Spring

philmore13

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2012
NC
I thought about this, but with the smart keyboard, being able to have this sit on my lap comfortably and not fall over is fantastic when chilling on the couch or bed. Having it always attached is logistically much better for me.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Returned the Create keyboard, picked up the Magic. We'll see how I like using it with the IPP. I like typing with it (this post) and have the Magic on my lap while using it.

Why do I feel I will not end up with any keyboards though and just a Smart Cover? Well I haven't really used one with my prior Ipads, only occasionally, and none are cheap.

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
Magic Keyboard works great with the iPad Pro. Even the shortcuts work perfectly like the function keys, or pressing the command key to get some more shortcuts.

Shame it's such a pain switching between my MacBook and iPad because you need to fully remove the Keyboard from the Bluetooth settings.

StE823

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2009
Toronto
Also check out the Logitech k811 easy switch keyboard, same price with the magic keyboard with more features.

Easy switch between 3 devices and backlit keys.

mattz1

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2015
When I type on the magic keyboard after a 1 minute wait, the first key I hit is not seen by the iPad Pro.

Does this happen to anyone else? I tried a genus bar and the same thing happened on their iPad Pro and magic keyboard.

Any suggestions?

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but it looks like its run its course.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
When I type on the magic keyboard after a 1 minute wait, the first key I hit is not seen by the iPad Pro.

Does this happen to anyone else? I tried a genus bar and the same thing happened on their iPad Pro and magic keyboard.

Any suggestions?

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but it looks like its run its course.
Yes. Does it to me too. Annoying. Happens with the older model BT keyboard as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.