Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacFrag

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2015
The Netherlands
Hi. I am bit of a AirTag newbie here.

If I name an AirTag “test tag” and put an emoji on it. Do others then see also the name “test tag” with my chosen emoji on it like I see in the find my app?

What information do other people see on there phone from my tag?

Reactions: FelixDerKater

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
No, they can't see the AirTag's name or emoji. They won't even see the AirTag at all unless it's following them and you aren't around...but even then, it's just "an AirTag".

The AirTags do have an NFC chip inside that goes to a web site. If they scan that, they'll see its serial number and last 4 digits of your phone number. If your AirTag is in lost mode, then they'll see the message you entered and your contact information.

Reactions: SB1500

tech8mate

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2023

If I name an AirTag “test tag” and put an emoji on it. Do others then see also the name “test tag” with my chosen emoji on it like I see in the find my app?

When you set up an AirTag, it is associated with your Apple ID, and the AirTag's unique identifier is linked to your account. If someone else finds your AirTag, they can't access your personal information or contact details directly from the AirTag itself. The AirTag does not display any visible information that can be read by others.

However, if you've marked your AirTag as lost using the Find My network, other Apple devices in proximity can detect the AirTag's signal and relay its location back to you anonymously through Apple's Find My app. This allows you to track the location of your AirTag through the network of Apple devices, without revealing your personal information to anyone else.

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
However, if you've marked your AirTag as lost using the Find My network, other Apple devices in proximity can detect the AirTag's signal and relay its location back to you anonymously through Apple's Find My app. This allows you to track the location of your AirTag through the network of Apple devices, without revealing your personal information to anyone else.
This is incorrect. The location of the AirTag is always being updated; it doesn't need to be put into lost mode for that. Also, when it is in lost mode, they can see your message and contact information (phone or email address). I'd consider that personal information.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
The AirTags do have an NFC chip inside that goes to a web site. If they scan that, they'll see its serial number and last 4 digits of your phone number.

to scan the NFC tag, the tag must be almost physically touching the phone (at least on iPhone)

so even this is not something most people will ever see.

I wish they had a way to anonymously iMessage someone from that page. would be great if you found something and could send the owner a quick "I found your keys" text without either of you knowing the others phone number.

Reactions: fischersd

AsherN

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2016
Canada
It's not NFC, it's low power BT. The tags constantly connect to nearby iPhones and use the FindMy network to report their locations. If your iPhone is seeing an AirTag not associated with your Apple ID for a long time, it will wrn you that there is an AirTag close to you.

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
It's not NFC, it's low power BT. The tags constantly connect to nearby iPhones and use the FindMy network to report their locations. If your iPhone is seeing an AirTag not associated with your Apple ID for a long time, it will wrn you that there is an AirTag close to you.
Yes, AirTags use Bluetooth LE for the Find My network...but they do also have an NFC chip inside them that can be scanned to get more detail. If you scan the NFC chip, it takes you to a website. If the AirTag is in lost mode, then the website shows your message and contact information. That's why it tells you to put the AirTag right next to your phone if one is found...so it can read the NFC chip.

Last edited:

ananniamul

Suspended
Jun 2, 2023
Bangladesh

No, others cannot directly read the personal identification information on your AirTag. The AirTag's tag or serial number is not visible to anyone except the owner. The purpose of the tag is to help identify the owner of the AirTag in case it gets lost. If someone finds a lost AirTag, they can use their iPhone or NFC-enabled device to scan the AirTag. This will provide them with a notification containing a link to a website that displays a message with contact information or instructions set by the owner.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.