Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beatalliance

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 23, 2006
Basically .... I need to know if you can install windows useing boot camp ... then install the parallels program .. and use the windows installed "Meant" for boot camp..... to successfully run parallels ???

So you dont end up having 2 seperate installs of windows on your mac .. 1 copy for boot camp and another for parallels !!!

Is this possible ??? Maybe to just direct parallels to the copy of windows allready on your mac and get it to boot that instead of installing another copy ???

TA!

barr08

macrumors 65816
Aug 9, 2006
Boston, MA
Theres a way to turn your existing boot camp windows into a parallels VM, but I don't think it's possible to do what you want to do.

Steve1496

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
beatalliance said:
Basically .... I need to know if you can install windows useing boot camp ... then install the parallels program .. and use the windows installed "Meant" for boot camp..... to successfully run parallels ???

So you dont end up having 2 seperate installs of windows on your mac .. 1 copy for boot camp and another for parallels !!!

Is this possible ??? Maybe to just direct parallels to the copy of windows allready on your mac and get it to boot that instead of installing another copy ???

TA!

No, not at this time. Parallels has stated they're planning this feature for the next release in late 2006-2007.

Contrary to what the above poster said, I also don't think it's possible to turn your bootcamp install into a parallels disk. Parallels use proprietary virtual hard disk format so Mac OS X can't open/explore the contents.

treblah

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2003
Steve1496 said:
Contrary to what the above poster said, I also don't think it's possible to turn your bootcamp install into a parallels disk. Parallels use proprietary virtual hard disk format so Mac OS X can't open/explore the contents.

*cough* At least one person has done it. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.