Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How many of you used or use the keyboard cover on the new MBP 2016 >

• I use it on MBP 2016 >

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • I don't use it

Votes: 7 77.8%
  • I use it on MBP < 2015

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

kamilbolka

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2018
Dear MacRumors Community,

I just got my new MacBook Pro 2017 and I have a question. Can a $10 silicon keyboard cover damage my display when the lid is closed? I know that it will leave some marks that can be clean off but this keyboard already does that without the cover. But the reason why I want the cover is to prevent any sticky keys that this keyboard is known for.

I just want to hear from people with experience.

Best Regards to all,
Kamil

Sterkenburg

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2016
Japan
Functionally damage, no, but there's a high likelihood it will leave marks on it. Keep in mind that the top case-screen clearance in the current MBPs is basically zero.

It's almost impossible to give any statistically meaningful evidence of whether a keyboard will help preventing keyboard issues or not. My personal guess is that it won't help much, honestly, and in my experience I found pretty much any additional cover or cloth to be an even worse dust/dirt magnet.

kamilbolka

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2018
Functionally damage, no, but there's a high likelihood it will leave marks on it. Keep in mind that the top case-screen clearance in the current MBPs is basically zero.

It's almost impossible to give any statistically meaningful evidence of whether a keyboard will help preventing keyboard issues or not. My personal guess is that it won't help much, honestly, and in my experience I found pretty much any additional cover or cloth to be an even worse dust/dirt magnet.

Ye but, I've been reading reviews about what happened to people and how they had to pay $800 dollars to replace their keyboard. Which makes me want to get the keyboard silicon cover. Back when Steve Jobs was inventing ****, this wouldn't be a problem.

airlied

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2011
So are you using MBP 2016, 2017 or 2018? Since you stopped using them, did you have any sticky keys?
To be clear, I didn't use it on my 2017 or 2018 Macbook pro. I had a 2015 15' Macbook pro. The keyboard itself left marks on screen, but as you said it's cleanable. However the keyboard cover left marks that stays.
The macbook pro retina (pre-touchbar) had issues with screen's layers, they just fell off for no reason. So I guess the keyboard cover made it worse.

Perhaps you just think my saying is off the topic, because Im saying pre 2016 macs. But think it this way, 2016 models still leave marks on screen by keyboard itself, who could guarantee that a cover won't do more?

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Anything that touches your screen can damage it.

Apple has extended the warranty on the the keyboard for 4 year after the initial purchase. I would prefer for the keyboard to die and having Apple replace it for free, instead of having pay to replace the screen due to abrasion.

Sebastian79

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2017
Dear MacRumors Community,

I just got my new MacBook Pro 2017 and I have a question. Can a $10 silicon keyboard cover damage my display when the lid is closed? I know that it will leave some marks that can be clean off but this keyboard already does that without the cover. But the reason why I want the cover is to prevent any sticky keys that this keyboard is known for.

I just want to hear from people with experience.

Best Regards to all,
Kamil
The silicone covers will last you a few months at best, they won't be comfortable to use, will turn yellowish and will look ugly. I tried 2 different types. I used it and decided to get rid of it. I rather use the keyboard until it gets sticky and have the keyboard replaced under the new replacement program as many times as it takes until the 4 years are up and then I upgrade ;)

kamilbolka

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2018
The silicone covers will last you a few months at best, they won't be comfortable to use, will turn yellowish and will look ugly. I tried 2 different types. I used it and decided to get rid of it. I rather use the keyboard until it gets sticky and have the keyboard replaced under the new replacement program as many times as it takes until the 4 years are up and then I upgrade ;)
Is the replacement program for all users that bought the mac or those that have apple care?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I would NOT use any kind of "keyboard cover" on a newer MacBook Pro.
There isn't "enough room" between the keys and the surface of the display when the lid is closed.
You could end up with marks on the display.

The retina displays have a VERY THIN "sprayed on" anti-glare coating.
Just about ANYTHING that "touches the coating" can begin to degrade it and it can start flaking off.

You also want to be careful not to touch the display surface when you open and close the MBP.
Also, DO NOT routinely "wipe off" the display using any pressure.
If there's dust on, just "lightly dust it off" with a very soft and clean cloth.

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Florida Unfortunately
Silicon itself contains abrasive quantities. Hence why I never use a silicon case on a stainless steel framed device. It marrs the high polished frame as it will the screen of your MacBook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.