Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shoelessone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 17, 2007
In particular, travel internationally?

I don't travel all of the time, but I do occasionally like to take trips. This year it was Colombia, next year maybe India.

That said, I live in the US, in particular the Bay area of California (San Francisco/Oakland).

Anyway, I've read websites, and I've read blog posts, about Verizon iPad and it being "unlocked" so I can use other carriers sim cards. And I realize that some countries (or for instance some parts of India) may just not be compatible (technology wise) with the Verizon radio(s).

I've also read T-Mobile very "intriguing" "unlimited data internationally" thing, and they list "india" and a ton of other countries in the countries you get free international data in, but I am sure there are many many "gotchas" - I'd rather pay and know what I'm getting.

So basically,

1) Is the new iPad Mini on Verizon my best option?
2) Is it impossible to tell at this point whether the new iPad Mini (retina) will be "unlocked" in the same was previous generations/iphones have been? I don't know enough about the space, but I'm wondering if Verizon has the GSM radios/sim card "unlocked" out of some sort of necessity (it's not like Verizon to unlock things for the good of the customer, as far as I know).
3) To some it up, if you were going to travel a lot, but wanted great service in the US (Verizon I generally feel is the best in MY experience), which iPad Mini would you buy?

Other thoughts/considerations?

Thanks in advance!

<3

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.