Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tlaw81

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2010
North Carolina
Isn’t that option in your Bluetooth options? I’m not at my computer right now and can’t check but I thought it was there instead of in your mouse/keyboard settings.

Reactions: konqerror

flodschi22

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 1, 2018
Austria
So those videos are not of you trying to rename them? The videos show the devices being renamed successfully.
What exactly is happening when you try to rename them?

they are my videos! I am renaming my magic mouse and my keyboard and it looked good when I pressed rename but when I go back in the system settings and go back to the bluetooth preferences just to look for the name again if it worked it still shows me the the old name again!

MacManiac76

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2007
Arizona
they are my videos! I am renaming my magic mouse and my keyboard and it looked good when I pressed rename but when I go back in the system settings and go back to the bluetooth preferences just to look for the name again if it worked it still shows me the the old name again!

Are you on Catalina? Have you installed the macOS Catalina 10.15.2 update released today? Have you rebooted or shutdown since this issue started?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
It must be a "bluetooth thing", but...
Until I saw this thread, I'd never heard of anyone "renaming" a mouse or keyboard... ;)

Fliu

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2016
Noticed this bug on all my Catalina computers. Had to use a Mojave (or older) computer for the rename to stick.

Reactions: flodschi22

MelBa3

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2020
Did you find a solution to this? I am having the exact same problem, get to the rename screen, click done & it appears that it's updated with the new name but when I go back into it - the old name is still there. I have Catalina, no access to anything with Mojave to test either

flodschi22

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 1, 2018
Austria
Did you find a solution to this? I am having the exact same problem, get to the rename screen, click done & it appears that it's updated with the new name but when I go back into it - the old name is still there. I have Catalina, no access to anything with Mojave to test either

No sorry the problem is still present!

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013
Did you try to factory reset the mouse? Turn it off, hold down the button, turn it back on and release only after the light starts blinking. Then re-pair the mouse with the computer.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Did anyone found the solution to this? I'm having the exact same problem
It seems to be a Catalina bug, still present in 10.15.3. Maybe it's fixed in 10.15.4, but I haven't tested it. You can rename the devices with no issue on a computer running 10.14.6 or older.

Reactions: TheVulture
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.