Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

inscrewtable

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 9, 2010
I'm putting in a bug report to Apple about how spaces work in Mission Control and I am not certain if this behaviour was the same in Leopard.

In Leopard an application could be assigned a particular space, say for example Mail was space 1 and Safari was space 2, then if you were in Safari and used the Tab + Cmd shortcut to switch focus to Mail then the space would also shift.

I'm not sure if I remember this correctly or whether it made a difference whether a window was open in the other Space.

Can someone confirm this.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
In Leopard an application could be assigned a particular space, say for example Mail was space 1 and Safari was space 2, then if you were in Safari and used the Tab + Cmd shortcut to switch focus to Mail then the space would also shift.

I'm not sure if I remember this correctly or whether it made a difference whether a window was open in the other Space.

Can someone confirm this.

I tried it in Leopard with Safari and Excel. It would switch focus with the keyboard shortcut with an Excel window open in another Space. When I minimized the Excel window to the Dock, the focus did not shift. My Safari window remained on the screen, but the Menu bar said Excel.

inscrewtable

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 9, 2010
OK thanks for that guys.

Well then this must be a bug if it worked in Leopard, because the current behaviour of needing to doubleclick the dock icon is against the whole principle of the dock which was the same as the old os 9 Launcher.app meaning a single click. Single clicks to do a job is what buttons are all about, like using photoshop's actions button options

This is how it currently operates in Lion and it's incredibly annoying.

Say you have Mail locked to Desktop 1 (using the dock option) and Safari Locked to Desktop 2

Now you are doing some work on one of the other desktops and a mail comes in you click on Mail.app in the dock, focus changes to Mail but it remains on it's current desktop. Second click on the Mail icon in the Dock and only then does the space shift to desktop 2.

One click to focus one click to move. How can this not be a bug, what is the point of switching the focus and remaining on the wrong desktop. It's not like you can do anything. Using the app switch Cmd + Tab shortcut is even worse because all you can do is switch focus you can make a second move, so the app switcher becomes completely redundant which is extra annoying as it had the brilliant behaviour of being able to work as a toggle between two apps.

What also convinces me this is a genuine bug is that the second click on the Dock switches spaces. If the second click did nothing then it would be more of an oversight than a bug.

Now the Tab Cmd toggle between two apps locked to their own desktops is broken forcing me to use the dock and then double tap the icon.

I can't believe that this sort of crap behaviour can last all the way up to 10.7.4

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
That behaviour prevents accidental and annoying quick changes of spaces. It's not a bug, but a feature Apple has probably introduced due to the users complaining about it perhaps.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
That behaviour prevents accidental and annoying quick changes of spaces. It's not a bug, but a feature Apple has probably introduced due to the users complaining about it perhaps.

It's a bug, and it doesn't happen on any of my systems. It's not the intended behavior.

jW

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
It's a bug, and it doesn't happen on any of my systems. It's not the intended behavior.

jW

That doesn't mean it's a bug. I've explained the reason of that feature and since Apple hasn't acknowledged it as a bug, your assumption is plain wrong.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
That doesn't mean it's a bug. I've explained the reason of that feature and since Apple hasn't acknowledged it as a bug, your assumption is plain wrong.

Since it's not the way it was announced to function when the feature was introduced, and Apple has not announced it as a feature or an intentional change, it's safe to assume it's a bug. It's not the way it's intended to work, nor is your reasoning logical or in line with Apple's other software design decisions. If you click on the icon representing a program in any other situation, you can fully expect the computer to open that program or take you to where it is already open. Since that is not happening and it did it all previous versions of the OS, and does on the majority of user's system still, it's not an assumption that it's a bug, but would be a huge assumption to state that it is in fact a new feature.

jW

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
Since it's not the way it was announced to function when the feature was introduced
Can you provide at least a link to this?

, and Apple has not announced it as a feature or an intentional change, it's safe to assume it's a bug.

Are you sure? What about the third checkbox:
6899527751_4284a8acf5_o.jpg

It's not the way it's intended to work, nor is your reasoning logical or in line with Apple's other software design decisions.

That's a wild guess unless you're an Apple executive involved with OS X development.

Oh, and I think you aren't. :rolleyes:

If you click on the icon representing a program in any other situation, you can fully expect the computer to open that program or take you to where it is already open.

So I guess the checkbox is just there for fun.

Since that is not happening and it did it all previous versions of the OS, and does on the majority of user's system still, it's not an assumption that it's a bug, but would be a huge assumption to state that it is in fact a new feature.
You can't say that. That's your assumption, if you can't realize it that's not my business. Oh, and Apple is not forced by anyone to publish every little option they introduce in an OS.
:rolleyes:

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Are you sure? What about the third checkbox:

Why didn't it occur to you to mention that checkbox to the OP, then? If you're going to comment on a thread like this, try helping the person who asked the question rather than blasting someone else who did provide helpful commentary. Besides, the existence of that option proves that everything I said is correct, minus the slight detail that that behavior can be turned off.

jW

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
Why didn't it occur to you to mention that checkbox to the OP, then? If you're going to comment on a thread like this, try helping the person who asked the question rather than blasting someone else who did provide helpful commentary. Besides, the existence of that option proves that everything I said is correct, minus the slight detail that that behavior can be turned off.

That's sort of funny. Everything you said is plain wrong, and you keep stating otherwise.
Your "helpful commentary" was not helpful to any extent.
The option to prevent annoying changes between spaces is in fact a feature, and this not only contradicts what you said as for Apple's "software decisions", but puts emphasis on your credibility. I also like how you skipped my previous questions. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.