Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

XP Defector

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2006
Is this to do with temperature? Does it affect performance? Obviously when the CPU is pushed it maxes out to 2Ghz (according to CoreDuo), but wouldn't things be faster if the the CPU was maxed out constantly at 2GHz?

Cheers.

thugpoet22

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2005
New York
Im pretty new to the mac worked but for the most part processors either intel or amd act the same across all platforms, meaning that they act according the the software or the instructions that have to be processed. I wouldn't expect the processor to run at full tilt unless your were using an app that required all of that power. And also being that your on a portable, like the last post said, it might have something to do with saving battery life.

telecomm

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
Rome
Do you mean that "About This Mac" tells you your processor is 1.5 Ghz, or that your processor isn't running at 100% all the time?:confused:

NextTuesday

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2006
Cork, Ireland
Check what your Energy Settings are, Processor should be set to High.
I think that OS X looks at how much Raw Intel Core Power that you need and then calculates how fast the processor should run at to conserve battery power. Isn't it 2 processors anyways? So its like 2 x 1.5GHz (I know its a processor core and not just a processor but yeah...)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.