Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shamus99

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 20, 2014
Can someone please explain the different types of video with virtual reality? 3D movies, apple spatial videos, 360 video, etc???

I dont have a AVP yet but was curious.

Thanks!

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
3D movies are equivalent to what you'd experience in a movie theater: they appear on a rectangular screen and have an illusion of depth.

Apple spatial videos captured with the AVP or iPhone 15 also have an illusion of depth when viewed with the AVP.

Apple immersive videos, parts of which are shown in the AVP demo, make it appear as if you're there, though there are limits to the virtual world if you look way up, down, or to the side.

360 degree videos and photos completely surround you: you see the virtual world no matter which direction you look.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
Thanks!

What format is the most immersive? realistic??
For me, the last two. The scope for the immersive videos like the ones in the demo is limited, but you have to turn your head a lot to see the edge of the virtual world. When I first saw the one about rhinos, I felt like I could reach out and touch them. But if there's an Apple store not too far from you, I suggest you go see for yourself.

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
Notable also is Apple's Environments, which are not at all video. These IMO are the most immersive because they're actually realtime 3D environments rendered at 90fps (like a video game) that don't break immersion when you stand up or move from side to side. If Apple didn't have a limitation on physical distance they allow you to travel before the real world fades in for safety's sake, you could technically walk around in these environments and explore.

So while they're not a movie or a documentary (and aren't even video), if we're talking immersiveness only these are pretty much unmatched because of the full 6 degrees of motion freedom that you cannot get with video only.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
Essentially yeah, full freedom of motion. Some of the very distant stuff is likely flat textures derived from high res photos but they're 3D environments rendering in real time with full range of movement freedom.
I agree these are great, though more are needed. I omitted them from my post because as you say, they're not really videos.

Rychiar

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
Essentially yeah, full freedom of motion. Some of the very distant stuff is likely flat textures derived from high res photos but they're 3D environments rendering in real time with full range of movement freedom.
The sky at night looks fake as hell but the rest of it definitely looks amazingly real and I wish ya could walk around in it

- rob -

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2012
Oakland, CA
It is interesting that Vision Pro is largely a stand or sit still device at this point.

Weight is a thing but it doesn’t have to be as limiting as it is now.

Quest is very much full room. The best stuff needs a good 6’x6’.

The VP, in my experience so far, is not delivering anywhere near what it could. Immersive, interactive and generated environments (like if there was a campground beyond the Mt. hood viewpoint to explorer) would take the device to a whole other level.

It’s almost strange how little there is to do that really takes advantage of the product’s capability.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.