Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danqi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 14, 2010
I have never used a Virtual Machine and I am not sure if my understanding of them is right. The way I understand it they are basically a second macOS inside of a secure container, is that correct?

Here is why I am interested:

I have started using UpWork and they have a desktop app that tracks time and takes screenshots at random intervals which are then sent to the client so that they can confirm that you are working.

I don't want to install this app on my main system for 3 reasons:

- I think it's creepy
- I am afraid of accidentally compromising my security (password manager..)
- I am afraid of compromising my other client's security and privacy

Would it be possible to have the UpWork app and whichever software I am using for work run inside of a Virtual Machine for privacy and security reasons? Would the screenshots then be limited to only the Virtual Machine? Would it affect the performance of demanding video editing and color correction software?

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
There are posts at the Upwork forums indicating that it's OK to use a VM and yes, it would not screenshot anything outside the VM. Whether or not the VM can handle your actual work is a separate question and you probably need to list the specifics of your Mac and the software you'd want to use in the VM.

Reactions: Basic75

danqi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 14, 2010
There are posts at the Upwork forums indicating that it's OK to use a VM and yes, it would not screenshot anything outside the VM. Whether or not the VM can handle your actual work is a separate question and you probably need to list the specifics of your Mac and the software you'd want to use in the VM.
Thanks! I have an M1 Max Mac Studio with 32GB and would mostly use DaVinci Resolve (with mostly 4k footage) as well as Adobe Premiere Pro and Photoshop.

Arctic Moose

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
Thanks! I have an M1 Max Mac Studio with 32GB and would mostly use DaVinci Resolve (with mostly 4k footage) as well as Adobe Premiere Pro and Photoshop.
It can’t hurt to try it.

If it doesn’t work for you you could always just create a separate partition (or use a different disk) to boot from, and only use that system for that particular client’s work.

Of course you’d be locked out of your own stuff while you work, and the spyware could potentially look at your other partition/disk unless it is encrypted and never mounted from within the “work” system.

Last edited:

danqi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 14, 2010
It can’t hurt to try it.

If it doesn’t work for you you could always just create a separate partition (or use a different disk) to boot from, and only use that system for that particular client’s work.

Of course you’d be locked out of your own stuff while you work, and the spyware could potentially look at your other partition/disk unless it is encrypted and never mounted from within the “work” system.
Thanks, I think I will try that!
And just to be sure: When I use a Virtual Machine like Parallels I can cmd-tab over to my regular system und use other apps while the spyware will be contained within the VM?

Arctic Moose

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
And just to be sure: When I use a Virtual Machine like Parallels I can cmd-tab over to my regular system und use other apps while the spyware will be contained within the VM?
In short, correct. Your VM will probably capture the cmd-tab so you will most likely need to use the dock, click some other window or use some other key combination to switch away from the VM. (I have used VirtualBox and VMware, but not Parallels, so I don't know the exact details.)

Reactions: danqi

danqi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 14, 2010
Ok, I'll think about my options a bit more. Thanks for the information!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.