Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alted1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2019
I have a powered usb hub with a flash drive and a ssd in it. The drives, with the hub connected to my iPadPro (ios 13) are accessible. The same drives, with the hub connected through a wireless filehub (ravpower) aren't accessible.

If I change the drives with two HDDs they can be accessed through the same wireless device.

Searching an explanation I can't find one.

Thanks for any help.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I have a powered usb hub with a flash drive and a ssd in it. The drives, with the hub connected to my iPadPro (ios 13) are accessible. The same drives, with the hub connected through a wireless filehub (ravpower) aren't accessible.

If I change the drives with two HDDs they can be accessed through the same wireless device.

Searching an explanation I can't find one.

Thanks for any help.

They are not visible in the RAVPower's app? Is the hub a USB 2/3 or USB-C connected with an adapter? I have the RAVPower, an SSD drive and iPad Pro so I could try it out.

alted1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2019
They are not visible in the RAVPower's app? Is the hub a USB 2/3 or USB-C connected with an adapter? I have the RAVPower, an SSD drive and iPad Pro so I could try it out.

Thank you sparksd.

The RAVPower is the rp-wd007. The SSD is a Samsung T5 1 TB. The powered usb hub is connected through a USB-A male connector to the USB-A female of RAVPower Filehub Plus.

Last edited:

whokuni

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2015
Japan
Im sorry I cant help you with your particular problem. However, I have the following which I can't fathom out. I have the latest OS on my 2027 Ipad Pro 10.5. Im trying to connect just a small 16gb memory key using the Apple Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter and the power adapter that came with the Ipad. However, my ipad wont recognize the memory key or the contents within it. Can somebody please suggest where I am going wrong or what connector I should be using for this to work. I have plenty of spare USB drives that I would dearly like to use with my ipad. Thanking you in advance. And good luck with your enquiry.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Thank you sparksd.

The RAVPower is the rp-wd007. The SSD is a Samsung T5 1 TB. The powered usb hub is connected through a USB-A male connector to the USB-A female of RAVPower Filehub Plus.

I haven't forgotten this. I thought I had a USB-A hub but I only have a USB-C one. I ordered an adapter from Amazon and should get it tomorrow - with that I can use my hub on one of my RAVPowers (I have every model from the initial one).
[automerge]1571624203[/automerge]
Im sorry I cant help you with your particular problem. However, I have the following which I can't fathom out. I have the latest OS on my 2027 Ipad Pro 10.5. Im trying to connect just a small 16gb memory key using the Apple Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter and the power adapter that came with the Ipad. However, my ipad wont recognize the memory key or the contents within it. Can somebody please suggest where I am going wrong or what connector I should be using for this to work. I have plenty of spare USB drives that I would dearly like to use with my ipad. Thanking you in advance. And good luck with your enquiry.

What format is it? NTFS is not supported.

alted1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2019
I haven't forgotten this. I thought I had a USB-A hub but I only have a USB-C one. I ordered an adapter from Amazon and should get it tomorrow - with that I can use my hub on one of my RAVPowers (I have every model from the initial one).

Thanks. You have all the time you need.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Thank you sparksd.

How are the devices formatted? The RAVPower cannot use Mac formats but the iPad via Files can.

alted1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2019
How are the devices formatted? The RAVPower cannot use Mac formats but the iPad via Files can.
I verified now. The SSD is formatted exFAT, the flash drive is formatted FAT32.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA

OK, just tried my WD09 FileHub with a powered hub (a HooToo USB-C hub with adapter) attached with a 512GB SSD a 128GB flash drive (both Samsung and formatted exFAT) and was able to get to everything on the storage, both with the RAVPower app and with FileBrowser. No issues.

Do you have the hub and storage attached and powered when you turn on the FileHub? Do you have the latest FileHub f/w installed?

alted1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2019
OK, just tried my WD09 FileHub with a powered hub (a HooToo USB-C hub with adapter) attached with a 512GB SSD a 128GB flash drive (both Samsung and formatted exFAT) and was able to get to everything on the storage, both with the RAVPower app and with FileBrowser. No issues.

Do you have the hub and storage attached and powered when you turn on the FileHub? Do you have the latest FileHub f/w installed?
At your suggestion I connected the powered hub with the storage attached before turning on the filehub. I turned on the filehub then connected the ipad to the filehub.

It seems that the problems are not caused by different formatting of the devices attached to the hub. I reformatted the Sandisk Cruzer flash drive so both are formatted exFAT. No changes. Only one storage is visible. Connecting the hub to a USB-A port of a Windows laptop both storage are visible.

Maybe is caused by difference between:
- rp-wd007 and rp-wd009
- your usb hub and mine
Thanks a lot for your time.

I tried too to contact ravpower support but IMHO it is poor. No way to make me understandable, no new versions for the firmware.

For now I give up.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.