Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gustavo Pereira

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2020
Someone on instagram said they could access my phone and all its content. They then proceeded to post photos that were only on my phone. Some of me and my then gf. Nobody has access to my iphone at home. I dont even have photos on icloud. Could this all be my ex gf or could I have been hacked?

ChedNasad

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2020
Really unlikely. Most of the tools that governments use to hack iPhone require physical access. (And you likely are not being targeted by intelligence agencies) iCloud is maybe the most likely thing to be remotely hackable but if you don't have photos on it then that's out. I would definitely lean toward an ex or someone else that would have access to that stuff.

Reactions: madeirabhoy

RRC

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2020
More than likely an ex girlfriend... iPhones are heavily encrypted and certainly not easily done remotely.

If they had all your data why would they contact you on Instagram, they'd be phoning or texting or emailing you.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Someone on instagram said they could access my phone and all its content. They then proceeded to post photos that were only on my phone. Some of me and my then gf. Nobody has access to my iphone at home. I dont even have photos on icloud. Could this all be my ex gf or could I have been hacked?
Without further details, generally impossible unless you are a highly targeted person (then you probably wouldn't be posting on MR).

1st question would be, have you ever posted or shared those photos anywhere or with someone? Check your social media posts, any chats (eg. iMessage, WhatsApp, etc). Once you shared a photo with anyone, it's a lost cause.
2nd, have you ever shared a photo album with someone? Go to your photos app and check the shared album section.

Simple general precautions I would take:
- change all your online accounts' passwords (email, iCloud, social media accounts, etc)
- enable 2 factor authentication on accounts that support it (most online services now do require 2FA)
- double check your social media app settings
- check if you have other devices that are accessible to others.
- log out any session of any online services on all devices (most sites allow this on their websites).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.