Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gravydog316

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 17, 2016
Canada
My mid-2010 15" MBP has the GPU random restart kernel panic 'bug'
all the solutions/suggestions i have seen on YouTube & read here are just driving me bonkers.
Can someone help me try a solution that works for them?
I don't need/want/can't afford a laptop/computer right now, but a fix that actually works would be nice, if anyone can help me please & thanks!
:confused:

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Kernel panics due to GPU issues are mostly due to faulty or failing hardware. Contact Apple and have them look at it. You already did most of things a user could do to try to fix the issue.

mj_

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2017
Austin, TX
all the solutions/suggestions i have seen on YouTube & read here are just driving me bonkers.
If by "driving me bonkers" you mean that you don't understand a word and have no idea what to do then no, nobody here will be able to help you "fix" your computer because all we can do is repeat what you have already been told and did not understand.

Reactions: Audit13

Gravydog316

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 17, 2016
Canada
Kernel panics due to GPU issues are mostly due to faulty or failing hardware. Contact Apple and have them look at it. You already did most of things a user could do to try to fix the issue.
Yes; there was a recall, but only for the 2011 models,
but there is a work-around someone made (here: https://github.com/julian-poidevin/MBPMid2010_GPUFix )
, I just need someone to help me with the instructions, instead of telling me to phone Apple.
[doublepost=1516530616][/doublepost]
If by "driving me bonkers" you mean that you don't understand a word and have no idea what to do then no, nobody here will be able to help you "fix" your computer because all we can do is repeat what you have already been told and did not understand.
Basically, it says all I have to do is disable SIP & edit a kext file, & change some values, but i don't know how to do that.

HexEgg

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2018
It's not the failed GPU it's a capacitor on the logic board the you need to change and everything will be back to normal. I have the same MBP model and had the same issues: random reboots, kernel panics etc. So I bought a new capacitor, went to my local electronics repair shop and changed it for about 10$. It's been almost a year since then and I haven't encountered a single kernel panic or reboot, and I use this machine a lot!
Here is the video that will explain why the problem is and how to fix it:

Just show it to someone who does laptop repairs professionally and they'll help you out I'm sure.

Gravydog316

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 17, 2016
Canada
It's not the failed GPU it's a capacitor on the logic board the you need to change and everything will be back to normal. I have the same MBP model and had the same issues: random reboots, kernel panics etc. So I bought a new capacitor, went to my local electronics repair shop and changed it for about 10$. It's been almost a year since then and I haven't encountered a single kernel panic or reboot, and I use this machine a lot!
Here is the video that will explain why the problem is and how to fix it:

Just show it to someone who does laptop repairs professionally and they'll help you out I'm sure.
I use it 24/7 for school & work, & it is 7 years old, i might just trade it in;
if anything goes wrong, i will be in a bigger hassle than now... :/

HexEgg

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2018
I use it 24/7 for school & work, & it is 7 years old, i might just trade it in;
if anything goes wrong, i will be in a bigger hassle than now... :/

Well, it's up to you. The solution with kext files manipulation is shaky and is not reliable according to users feedback.

Reactions: Gravydog316
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.