Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

calvin200001

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
Hi there. Having issues with graphics card on mbp mid 2012. Can someone help with reading a report during a recent system crash?

Thanks
[doublepost=1510489118][/doublepost]I already tried to call apple btw and they couldn't see anything on the apple hardware diagnostic test

Attachments

• log.rtf.zip
    30 KB · Views: 403

ab298

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2017
Is there an actual crash or panic log ?.

Is SIMBL required for something on your system, and known to be stable ?.

calvin200001

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010

Hello! I have no idea why SIMBL is on my system. I install random things sometimes. I will check about the crash or panic log. Where would I find that?

calvin200001

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010

maybe when I did a downgrade on my JB iphone I did a bunch of Terminal installs to follow someone's directions...

ab298

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2017
maybe when I did a downgrade on my JB iphone I did a bunch of Terminal installs to follow someone's directions...

It's not been updated in years, an uninstaller seems to be included in the available download from http://culater.net/software/SIMBL/SIMBL.php

I see an Adobe CC crash, you'll need to be rather more specific about what happens & the exact time, for logs to be of much help. Start by removing symbol & take it from there.

calvin200001

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
It's not been updated in years, an uninstaller seems to be included in the available download from http://culater.net/software/SIMBL/SIMBL.php

I see an Adobe CC crash, you'll need to be rather more specific about what happens & the exact time, for logs to be of much help. Start by removing symbol & take it from there.
Thanks so much, I believe it has to do with my discrete video card. its starts to boggle the screen, but then the computer freezes or restarts. when I run in the "integrated" only mode using the GFX plugin, the problem doesn't happen, but other things tend to happen instead. just lagginess, screen draw lag. etc... but yea! I think there something wrong with my built-in diagnostics because it starts up a little weird and doesn't seem to get to the end of the progress bar but just says done. I also know that something is wrong because my battery shows at the apple store as needing to be replaced, but doesnt come up on my built-in diagnostic. So I am trying to see if I can locate the error using the log instead if possible to show apple support since I am out of the country and its a distance to travel to an apple service provider to have them run another test there. :)

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
More people seem to be reporting failures of the 2012 dGPU. I sure hope this is not the start of another dGPU failure pattern.

treekram

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI
If it's the mid-2012 15" Retina, the dGPU issues were known and they had a repair extension program which expired at the end of last year. You can take it in to Apple to see if it's having this specific problem but as the extension program has ended, they won't do a free repair (unless you're in a country where consumer laws can provide relief).
https://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro-videoissues/

ab298

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2017
The restart will often result in a log shown on screen, or perhaps only in Console. That's more likely to point at a graphics problem, although your description itself is almost enough, in the absence of 3rd party software.

calvin200001

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
If it's the mid-2012 15" Retina, the dGPU issues were known and they had a repair extension program which expired at the end of last year. You can take it in to Apple to see if it's having this specific problem but as the extension program has ended, they won't do a free repair (unless you're in a country where consumer laws can provide relief).
https://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro-videoissues/
Yes, this is true, but I spoke with a senior tech and he seemed to lean more towards possibly going out of his way to make it happen if I could show proof. So that is why I am trying to find a way.
[doublepost=1512931063][/doublepost]
The restart will often result in a log shown on screen, or perhaps only in Console. That's more likely to point at a graphics problem, although your description itself is almost enough, in the absence of 3rd party software.
Thanks very much for replying. Would you perhaps know what I could look for in order to search for such a console error? I am assuming by console, you mean the same report that Ive attached to this thread?

treekram

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI
Yes, this is true, but I spoke with a senior tech and he seemed to lean more towards possibly going out of his way to make it happen if I could show proof. So that is why I am trying to find a way.

For the repair extension program for the 2011 MBP, they had a diagnostic program that they ran to identify whether or not the computer would qualify for a repair (if I recall correctly). I would have thought they would have had a similar diagnostic program for the 2012/2013 program. It might be worth your time to research if that's the case.

But let's presume there is no diagnostic program that Apple can run and that they might do something if you can "show proof". According to the repair extension program, you have to have one or more of the following conditions:
  • Distorted or scrambled video on the computer screen
  • No video on the computer screen (or external display) even though the computer is on
  • Computer restarts unexpectedly
You haven't mentioned that condition 1 or 2 happens (or does it?). Which leaves condition 3. For that, you should look for the kernel panic logs because of the different types of logs that I've seen on the Apple, that tends to be the best one at identifying what happens when the computer crashes. Not every crash will produce a this type of log. (If your computer doesn't restart unexpectedly (crash), and none of the other conditions apply, you will have a difficult time trying to get a free repair.)

In the Console app, this should be under "System Reports" or "System Diagnostic Reports" or something similar and will start with "Kernel" and end with ".panic" or perhaps ".gpuRestart", although the .gpuRestart log could be a software issue (I've had those happen and it was an OS-related issue) and is not as helpful as the .panic log. On the disk, this will be in /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports". Now, if the tech who helped you didn't go looking for this, well, they weren't that helpful. If you have this type of log, post the results here. If you have multiple, just post one and mention that you have more and if that log isn't helpful, we'll ask for more.

ab298

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2017
[QUOTE
...Would you perhaps know what I could look for in order to search for such a console error? I am assuming by console, you mean the same report that Ive attached to this thread?[/QUOTE]

If it crashes & restarts after such a graphics problem, note the exact time, then look in Library/logs/DiagnosticReports in the left pane of Console.

If there's nothing obvious, post another excerpt as before, but edit it to ensure that you include the seconds just before & after the noted time.

If you can't get anywhere : try to keep a camera or phone ready & nearby, then take a video of the graphics corruption & restart. That ought to convince them, even in the absence of clear logs & test results; especially along with your checking with the GPU disabled using gfx.

calvin200001

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
For the repair extension program for the 2011 MBP, they had a diagnostic program that they ran to identify whether or not the computer would qualify for a repair (if I recall correctly). I would have thought they would have had a similar diagnostic program for the 2012/2013 program. It might be worth your time to research if that's the case.

But let's presume there is no diagnostic program that Apple can run and that they might do something if you can "show proof". According to the repair extension program, you have to have one or more of the following conditions:
  • Distorted or scrambled video on the computer screen
  • No video on the computer screen (or external display) even though the computer is on
  • Computer restarts unexpectedly
You haven't mentioned that condition 1 or 2 happens (or does it?). Which leaves condition 3. For that, you should look for the kernel panic logs because of the different types of logs that I've seen on the Apple, that tends to be the best one at identifying what happens when the computer crashes. Not every crash will produce a this type of log. (If your computer doesn't restart unexpectedly (crash), and none of the other conditions apply, you will have a difficult time trying to get a free repair.)

In the Console app, this should be under "System Reports" or "System Diagnostic Reports" or something similar and will start with "Kernel" and end with ".panic" or perhaps ".gpuRestart", although the .gpuRestart log could be a software issue (I've had those happen and it was an OS-related issue) and is not as helpful as the .panic log. On the disk, this will be in /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports". Now, if the tech who helped you didn't go looking for this, well, they weren't that helpful. If you have this type of log, post the results here. If you have multiple, just post one and mention that you have more and if that log isn't helpful, we'll ask for more.

Thanks so much! I actually do have scrambled screen sometimes too... but I looked in these places but didn't find anything like that. I just found "powerstats_2017-12-17-075102_MacBook-Pro.diag" other than that though, nothing else is there.
[doublepost=1513954891][/doublepost]
[QUOTE
...Would you perhaps know what I could look for in order to search for such a console error? I am assuming by console, you mean the same report that Ive attached to this thread?

If it crashes & restarts after such a graphics problem, note the exact time, then look in Library/logs/DiagnosticReports in the left pane of Console.

If there's nothing obvious, post another excerpt as before, but edit it to ensure that you include the seconds just before & after the noted time.

If you can't get anywhere : try to keep a camera or phone ready & nearby, then take a video of the graphics corruption & restart. That ought to convince them, even in the absence of clear logs & test results; especially along with your checking with the GPU disabled using gfx.[/QUOTE]

That's a great idea about a camera. I will do that.

treekram

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI
The 2011 MBP GPU problem did tend to write a kernel panic log whether there was a restart. Now, it could be that the 2012 MBP GPU problem is different. There has been fewer people reporting 2012 MBP GPU problems than the 2011 so it's more difficult to discern a pattern. But considering the response you got from the Apple tech person, you may want to try running in safe mode and see if the problems occur or not.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

This will disable 3rd-party kernel extensions, daemons, browser extensions, add-ons, etc. so you will have to do without those while running in safe mode. But if you can run for a period of time without problems that is significantly longer than you could in regular mode, you may have a software issue. The kernel panic log does in a lot of instances also get written if there's a software problem but trying safe mode can still be useful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.