Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macos556798

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2019
So, I can't get an iMac G3 anytime soon. I am very interested in finding out how certain websites load on this machine though. Using the TenFourFox browser, (only browser that renders and loads modern websites) run the following websites and if possible post pics: (1). message me on google hangouts on the imac g3 (i am very curious if hangouts loads on this machine), hangouts.google.com or mail.google.com my email is bakkm8188@wrdsb.ca (2). YouTube. Yes I know their are YouTube apps for this thing, but I am wondering how slow performance is on the desktop site and how bad a video plays. (3) I am wondering how well the macrumors website loads

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
I don't have any G3s anywhere, but would you like me to try it out on some older G4s? Granted the oldest G4 I have at the moment is an 867 MHz G4 TiBook (which has a newer G4), so it might not be what you're looking for, but I can test it out if you'd like. I don't use Hangouts, but I can say that on a 1.67 GHz PowerBook G4 and a Dual 2.0 GHz Power Mac G5 the YouTube performance is mediocre at best. I can run non HD videos on the G4, but it slows the computer down, whereas on the G5, a 720p video will do the same.

macos556798

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2019
I don't have any G3s anywhere, but would you like me to try it out on some older G4s? Granted the oldest G4 I have at the moment is an 867 MHz G4 TiBook (which has a newer G4), so it might not be what you're looking for, but I can test it out if you'd like. I don't use Hangouts, but I can say that on a 1.67 GHz PowerBook G4 and a Dual 2.0 GHz Power Mac G5 the YouTube performance is mediocre at best. I can run non HD videos on the G4, but it slows the computer down, whereas on the G5, a 720p video will do the same.
Yeah I would appreciate that, you should use hangouts.google.com to send a message to me, as gmail will be way too slow for a 867mhz G4 system (its slow on a modern pc/mac). And I am curious as to how YouTube runs on your 867.

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
Yeah I would appreciate that, you should use hangouts.google.com to send a message to me, as gmail will be way too slow for a 867mhz G4 system (its slow on a modern pc/mac). And I am curious as to how YouTube runs on your 867.

No worries, I’ll try it out in the common weeks; I have a few things going on right now...I don’t have any Google accounts so I won’t be able to test Hangouts, but I’ll let you know how YouTube (and browsing) works in general. Would you prefer I use Tiger (seeing as an iMac G3 won’t run Leopard), or is Leopard fine?

macos556798

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2019
I would try Leopard and use the TenFourFox and leopard webkit browers. UNfortunately the default Safari browser doesn't load sites too well these days (doesnt play video at all) even though it's the fastest out of the 3.
[doublepost=1549290792][/doublepost]Do you dual boot tiger and leopard on the ti book?

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
I would try Leopard and use the TenFourFox and leopard webkit browers. UNfortunately the default Safari browser doesn't load sites too well these days (doesnt play video at all) even though it's the fastest out of the 3.
[doublepost=1549290792][/doublepost]Do you dual boot tiger and leopard on the ti book?

At the moment it's dual booting Jaguar and OS 9. It doesn't have an AirPort card, so I don't usually connect it to the internet. With regards to the browsers, that was my experience as well, only Leopard Webkit and TFF work, both of which are heavy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.