Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zerozoneice

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 26, 2013
Apple pretty much acknowledges there are issues with Mojave AFPS and Fusiondrives when installing Windows with bootcamp. All kinds of issues, non-platform specific (iMacs 2017, 2019, etc.) but mainly Mojave and Fusiondrives related. Most encountered is bootcamp hanging when "partitioning drives".

I wonder if Catalina fixes that? Can anyone test please?

zaxven

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2014
Not sure if this answers but installing boot-camp in Catalina doesn't work .. pops up an error disk not found or something at setup. sorry don't remember the exact message.

Fusion drive gets split into two drives .. fusion reset or disk erase in recovery mode is of no help. you have to start with internet recover mode and un-mount all the disks & then reset the whole disk to combine as one before re installing Mojave. (have formatted as APFS to test) I am going to install boot-camp and then see if I can install Catalina and access boot-camp once again. (iMac 5K 2017)

**alright tried again after reinstalling Mojave (even formatted as JHFS hdd automatically turns to APFS) and running bootcamp is in forever loop with disk partitioning. going back to catalina whew..

Last edited:
Reactions: zerozoneice

zerozoneice

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 26, 2013
Thanks! ok that pretty much clears it: not possible, same situation as in Mojave. Doesn't look good for anyone who wants to install Windows on 2019+ macs with fusion drives.

Now the question is: can anyone with SSD only setup try the same and report if it works?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.