Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Surreal

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 18, 2004
i am about to buy a laptop and i want to hear some opinions about whether or not the extra screen space between the 15 and the 17 would help me enough to merit waiting for the 17" macbook pro. i am trying to convince myself that waiting to at least see what it has is the best way, but the money...it burns us.

and i live in New York, so mobility is a real concern. while a little difference in weight isn't so bad, the extra bulk may be (i know i would be incredibly happy in either case though)

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
I run Reason re-wired to Protools on a 17" PowerBook, and the screen size does make a difference, especially with the new screens, I don't find it particularly bulky (I'm pretty big though) but it does get heavy with an interface and a couple of mics in the bag too...

I'll never buy a 15" machine again.

Surreal

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 18, 2004
WinterMute said:
I don't find it particularly bulky (I'm pretty big though) but it does get heavy with an interface and a couple of mics in the bag too...

thank you, if you don't mind, what interace/bag(s) do you use? i am looking at the Mobile Io 2882 and am trying to figure out how it will all be carried comfortably. (what's the use of a completely mobile rig if i don't want to carry anywhere? LoL)

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
Mostly its an M-box 1 and it all fits into a Brenthaven Pro17 backpack, which is an excellent bag.

I occasionally go out with a MOTU 828 19" rack, and that fits too but is heavy...

As long as the transport is ok I can ship enough kit in 1 bag for most jobs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.