Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whitedragon101

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 11, 2008
Every video I have seen as stage manager seems to show its like a worse version of the previous split screen. You get 2 apps to actually use on top (but now with large margins of wasted screen space) and a pile of apps underneath. So it looks like more of a way to switch apps than use multiple simultaneously.

Can you actually arrange the windows to get 3 or 4 on the screen at the same time without overlap?

Also is there any way to get rid of the huge borders stage manager introduces?

Mr.Blacky

Cancelled
Jul 31, 2016
Bildschirmfoto 2022-06-22 um 18.43.48.png
Also you can hide the dock and the miniature windows on the left.

Reactions: whitedragon101

JD2015

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014
Ah cool thanks. That’s much better, especially if you can hide the left windows and dock to use all the screen space for windows.
I think you can have up to four workspaces with 4 apps open in each as well. Or if dont like this then can have the standard split screen and slide over (Three apps) workspaces. Unfortunately, I do not have an M1 Ipad. However, it is a a huge update for me and those that like to have multiple windows in workspaces. I am looking forward to using it on my M1 Macbook as find the current multi tasking messy and hope this will tidy it all up for me. All in all great to have more multi tasking options on hand.

Reactions: whitedragon101

rettro

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2021
Without overlapping you can put up to 3 windows on the iPad's internal screen. If you open a fourth one, at minimum it will partially obscure one window. On an external display, you can put up to 4 without overlapping. If you make them tall enough, the dock will automatically hide away.

The recents apps will hide if one of the windows is wide enough. You can also manually hide the recent apps and Dock in Control Centre or settings. However, hiding them doesn't make the borders disappear entirely, the only way to do that is to resize a single window to take up the full screen.

Internal Display:​

65F401F5-43EF-4280-9561-16F3953B396C.png D03E99B2-98CB-4B03-B683-7FFDC922F329.png

External Display:​

5D8D8244-07CF-4051-BEC9-27CB103B0CDD.png 18D9B841-2BB2-4DA2-B2E3-8DB1AEB81CDF.png

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Also an interesting tidbit:
There is (currently) no way to overlay any window on top of full-screen app (such as games) in stage manager.

d3n

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2015
CHE
What about simultaneous video playback in Stage Manager? Is it possible to have two (or more) apps open, which each play media?

JD2015

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014
What about simultaneous video playback in Stage Manager? Is it possible to have two (or more) apps open, which each play media?
No. Forget where I saw this but you cannot.You can have one window with say youtube playing in the background of your workspace if got other windows open I believe. Not sure if this still plays if you go into a workspace but I doubt it.

Reactions: d3n

randomando

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2021
No. Forget where I saw this but you cannot.You can have one window with say youtube playing in the background of your workspace if got other windows open I believe. Not sure if this still plays if you go into a workspace but I doubt it.
I don't think this is a limitation in stage manager but rather an app limitation. Usually apps don't allow mixing audio with other apps. They have to opt in to that behavior. So when one app starts media playback the previously app is forced to stop. In general this makes the most sense rather than making the user search for the previous app and manually stopping playback.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.