Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joyagirl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2012
My 2019 16" Macbook Pro has a usb-c connector where no cables can fit all the way in (no nothing appears to be obstructing), so I am bringing it in to repair as I have Apple Care.

Is there any risk of someone getting access to the data in my hard drive without my password or fingerprint?

joyagirl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2012
Why would they need to wipe the hard drive to fix a usb-c port that physically won't allow any cable to plug in all the way? Seems like a physical issue?

If I have to wipe my 2tb drive for a simple repair, that's quite a hassle for fixing a dodgy physical issue with a usb-c port :(

Lihp8270

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2016
Why would they need to wipe the hard drive to fix a usb-c port that physically won't allow any cable to plug in all the way? Seems like a physical issue?

If I have to wipe my 2tb drive for a simple repair, that's quite a hassle for fixing a dodgy physical issue with a usb-c port :(
1) they may just replace with a return unit.

2) they may replace the whole board including the drive.

3) if the system is password locked they have no way of testing and verifying it works properly after the repair.

Reactions: joyagirl

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
hmm... Looking at a teardown @ iFixit.com - the USB ports aren't on the logic board, but separate from the board, attached by a ribbon cable. If there is simply a mechanical problem on one of the ports, then the fix is just replacing that port.
And, the shop would not likely need to get to the internal storage just to test the USB port, and unlikely that the logic board would even be touched, other than a bit of work in that one corner.
Will the repair center need to boot to your drive? Maybe.
Do they have time to inspect all your files, making sure to copy off all your good stuff? Ehh - no...
If you prefer to be careful -- you have a backup (don't you?), and you could wipe your drive before dropping it off -- nothing wrong with being careful. Restore after you get it back - if you need to restore, that's why you have a backup.

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
Apple's own instructions to prep for repair specify back up your data, remove your Mac from Find My, turn off firmware password if applicable, and deauthorize your computer for content purchases. They also state that if you're concerned with data security, erase the hard drive.
Regardless what your particular repair entails, there's a possibility that the computer you get back won't be the computer you sent.

Maybe a hassle, but it's best to cover your bases to prevent data loss.

joyagirl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2012
I see. Thanks for the answers :)

I have my key folders saved but have not used time machine as it seemed to slow things down last time I tried.

Fatus_Asticus

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2021
Make sure you back it up.

Best case they fix it and you get it right back.

What happens if the repair finds a board fault or the tech screws up and fries the unit? Your data might be screwed. They could lose it, drop it, fry it who knows but if you take the risk it’s on you.

Back up at minimum. If it’s important data back up and wipe and use this as an opportunity to do some spring cleaning.

Miltz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2013
My 2019 16" Macbook Pro has a usb-c connector where no cables can fit all the way in (no nothing appears to be obstructing), so I am bringing it in to repair as I have Apple Care.

Is there any risk of someone getting access to the data in my hard drive without my password or fingerprint?
Back up your stuff before you bring it in. No, they don't need to access your data, but you never know what route the repair will take. Apple even tells you to plan for your data to be wiped, so...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.