Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theMotoMan

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 20, 2020
I've done a fair amount of searching and can't seem to find an answer to this question. Is it possible to run an AMD 7000 series GPU in a 5,1 under Windows? I know the 6000 series can run with the Syncretic firmware patch, but the 7000 is lower power and actually cheaper to buy than the 6000 series. I guess it all boils down to whether or not the Windows drivers have AVX/AVX2 instructions in them. anyone try it?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Does not work. Anything newer than NAVI 1x GPUs requires HII firmware support, part of UEFI 2.3.1, which Mac Pro firmware does not have (EFI 1.10) and needs to be disabled.

Mac Pro will not boot with a GPU that requires HII.

theMotoMan

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 20, 2020
Does not work. Anything newer than NAVI 1x GPUs requires HII firmware support, part of UEFI 2.3.1, which Mac Pro firmware does not have (EFI 1.10) and needs to be disabled.

Mac Pro will not boot with a GPU that requires HII.
So the Syncretic patch to enable NAVI II I hear works well for the 6000 series. NAVI III is yet a different animal or can the same patch work?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
No one tested it yet. Since binary patches only work if the exact same bytes are found and the GPU only works with Windows/Linux, no one really have a motive to test it.

Reactions: theMotoMan
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.