Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
I bought a second generation Apple Pencil, but I'm wondering if this thing can damage the iPads display. I'm talking only about this model, not third party models, etc.

I'm thinking of eventually buying a screen protection for my iPad. What bothers me is you can't buy this or have this installed in an Apple store. For my iPhone I bought a screen protection and they installed it right away, and they had special tools for that in the store so that it is perfect.

I'll never be able to make this as good on my iPad, I can feel that it will be a mess.

So if the Pencil isn't going to damage the screen, I'll just skip the screen protection I think.

Zensō

Contributor
Oct 9, 2015
I’ve done an extensive amount of drawing on an iPads, both with and without screen protectors, and have never had an issue with scratches. If you want to be extra careful, just keep a microfiber cloth handy and wipe the screen occasionally. If there’s any possibility of damage, it will come from something abrasive being caught between the pencil tip and screen (highly unlikely, has never happened to me in many years).

Spigen screen protectors (and some others) come with a mounting tray similar to what they use in the Apple Stores on phones. They’re pretty much fool proof.

Reactions: Silly John Fatty

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
Thanks people!

If you want the protection and the paper like feel of a good screen protector try this one, I have been using it for several months and it’s great. It is even removable. Mine came as a kit with 2 new tips for my Apple Pencil that work great.

Without the tips
With the tips as a package

What do you mean with „paper like feel”? Will it be more rough and less sleek?

• Angry
Reactions: dominiongamma

Zensō

Contributor
Oct 9, 2015
Thanks people!

What do you mean with „paper like feel”? Will it be more rough and less sleek?
Yes, more like the feel of a pencil on paper as opposed to plastic on glass. I prefer the Apple Pencil on a glass screen protector, but some people really like the matte finish “paper-like” plastic protectors. It’s personal preference.

seggy

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2016
I bought a second generation Apple Pencil, but I'm wondering if this thing can damage the iPads display. I'm talking only about this model, not third party models, etc.

I'm thinking of eventually buying a screen protection for my iPad. What bothers me is you can't buy this or have this installed in an Apple store. For my iPhone I bought a screen protection and they installed it right away, and they had special tools for that in the store so that it is perfect.

I'll never be able to make this as good on my iPad, I can feel that it will be a mess.

So if the Pencil isn't going to damage the screen, I'll just skip the screen protection I think.

Not possible over the kind of time people will hang onto a *supported* iPad...

...except, that is, if you let the tip wear down. It has metal bits inside.

Reactions: Silly John Fatty
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.