Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Previously posted by Scem0

. I am definitelynot a 'power user', but I am a hardcore gamer. And when I see a friend with a year old PC playin Warcraft with less jumpiness then my 6 month old powermac, it makes me want to switch. Power does matter to me, and you cant get much power for the amount of money I have when it comes to computers from apple.

I'm sorry about the previous two posts. When they posted they did not display right even after editing and then they wouldn't let me delete them so here is my third try. Copy and paste rather than pressing the quote button.

What PowerMac your profile says you have an iMac 333. Also I would like to see a $1600 PC beat a Dual 867/DDR. It wouldn't have a chance when you started heavy multitasking and other real world tests. Then go ahead an move on to your games and if you had a real graphics card in the 867 it would beat the PC in that to all while it was burning a cd, getting mail, surfing the net, and making an iMovie. The biggest thing though is that even at 1600 most PC's do not include all the standard hardware that you get in a Mac.

shadowfax0

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2002
I have a dual 450, and I play WCIII all the time, if anything, it's faster than my friends Athlon 2100+. I notice no choppiness and my computer is 3 years old. I have 2x AGP and PC100 RAM, and my computer is still fast, not fastest, but I have a fast computer, no doubt about it. And one other thing, yeah my friend might be able to say, crunch more SETI blocks, but as for actual usefullness, I do week-long calculations in Mathematica for my patent (when I can give up WCIII :) But they're a week long, because they're a week long, not because the computer is slow, it would still take a fast computer 4 days to do) and can still USE my computer while it's calculating. So as it doing that I can still check my mail or come here once in a while, without having to worry about jeopordizing my calculation.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Warcraft is not a suitable benchmark

I've heard reports of WC3 playing well on Macs and playing like crap but this is not a suitable indicator of Computer performance.

Blizzard is target PC's and in their port they'll optimize somewhat for Macs but it's not as efficient as if if was written for Mac from it's inception.

Slow performance...your issue is with Blizzard..not Apple.

jadam

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2002
Re: Can the G4 beat the Pentium 5?

Originally posted by MacManiac1224
Can the G4 beat the Pentium 5? You are probably scratching your heads on this one. Yep, the Pentium 5 is very real, and it is coming soon. 2nd quarter of 2003, the Pentium 5 debuting at 3.2GHZ is going to come out. It will have 100 million transistors on it and it will be manufactured at .09 microns. Also, here is the doozy, it will have 1 mb of L2 on die cache, and it will support 333mhz bus speeds, with the addition of DDR, that is a possible 667mhz bus speeds. By the way, if you were wondering, the Pentium 4 has 42 million transistors.

Now, for the G4: I am not sure how many transistors the G4 has, but I imagine it is way less then 100 million, or even 42 million, considering the P4 came out after the G4. Anyway, the cache on the G4 is higher on the high-end, 2mb of cache. But: the speed: 1.25Ghz? Can that really stand up to a P5 with 333mhz bus, and 3.2Ghz clock speeds? My opinion: most likely not.

Let's be honest, the P4 basically can beat the G4 in most tasks today, so a new faster version of the P4, the P5 can easily beat the G4, most likely in 95-99% of all tasks.

Ok, we have established that the G4 is, well, to slow against the P5, even though we don't know about it yet, I imagine it will be. Well, Apple just pulled the plug on OS 9 for January, what could this mean? I am not sure, only Steve knows. But Apple better come out with something that can at least compete with the Pentium 5, and it better come soon. I would not be surprised if Apple comes out with the G5 in January, just to say they were the first to have a generation 5 possessor, but I could be wrong.

Ok, I made my case, now, what do you guys think? By the way: I got this information about the Pentium 5 from eWeek, so it is reputable.

dumb ass, no theres no P5, P5 wont come out for a LOOOONG Time, PIV is expected to Scale up to 10ghz, this is just an upgraded PIV f00

void

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2002
Not here
Re: Re: Can the G4 beat the Pentium 5?

Originally posted by jefhatfield

i hope by the time pentium 5 hits the shelves, there will be a G5 on the shelves

Doubtfully. It would be more likely a Power4. the G naming scheme is getting old really fast. It never takes this long to make a processor. Apple must really have something big up their sleves.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Re: Re: Can the G4 beat the Pentium 5?

Originally posted by jefhatfield

i hope by the time pentium 5 hits the shelves, there will be a G5 on the shelves

btw, igav, i see that you are on akira's site...i should go there and join up and give the old alphatech a hard time...i miss alphatech and his intelligent comments...even when he gets unintelligent and flames newbies:eek: :p ;)

I would think that by the time Intel do inflict the P5 upon that we'll be if not running machines with Apples next generation PPC at that time, then they'll be right around the corner......

And yep I joined akira's site...... although I won't be using it like I do mr...... and as akira said, it's not a rumour site, it's a discussion and problem site about current technical issues and hardware and software...... I thought Alphatech was funny...... sure he sometimes got a little heated, but there was alot of people that deserved it, and hey it spiced things up...... :p

He seem alot more chilled over at his site..... so that's cool.... :)

P.S It's good to have you back Jef....... ;) :)

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
Re: Re: Re: Can the G4 beat the Pentium 5?

Originally posted by iGAV

I would think that by the time Intel do inflict the P5 upon that we'll be if not running machines with Apples next generation PPC at that time, then they'll be right around the corner......

And yep I joined akira's site...... although I won't be using it like I do mr...... and as akira said, it's not a rumour site, it's a discussion and problem site about current technical issues and hardware and software...... I thought Alphatech was funny...... sure he sometimes got a little heated, but there was alot of people that deserved it, and hey it spiced things up...... :p

He seem alot more chilled over at his site..... so that's cool.... :)

P.S It's good to have you back Jef....... ;) :)

thanks

since akira/alphatech has started his site, i have only seen him once on macrumors...he is probably really busy getting everything up and going in the early stages...once it's there, i hope to see him pop in here every now and again

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.