Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

31 Flavas

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 4, 2011
I got two home HomePod on sale at BestBuy today $200 a piece. Before I open them up anyone know if they can they serve serve as default audio output for my iMac? Like if I'm playing Diablo 3, Starcraft, or World of Warcraft could I use the pair of HomePod speakers for native audio out?

Or can I really only just airplay like music to them?

TooFastForLove

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2007
Canada
My understanding is that you can Airplay your system volume to them, but there may be some slight lag. Not a big deal if it's just music anyway, but would be annoying if you're doing anything with YouTube / Netflix / gaming etc.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
I just tried to set my HomePod stereo pair as output in sound preferences on my iMac. I show 3 living room devices, which could be the 2 HomePods and Apple TV. Tried to connect to 'em and it wouldn't take. I've always found iMac > HomePod connections to be a bit sketchy.

31 Flavas

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 4, 2011
I just tried to set my HomePod stereo pair as output in sound preferences on my iMac. I show 3 living room devices, which could be the 2 HomePods and Apple TV. Tried to connect to 'em and it wouldn't take. I've always found iMac > HomePod connections to be a bit sketchy.
Bummer. Ok, well then I'll have to consider another use for them or return them. I was thinking maybe they could serve as good stereo speakers for my iMac (already have a theater system in my room).

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
4. Hit the + button then select Create Aggregate Device.

5. On the right side of the window will be a list of all the audio devices. Click the Use checkbox for AirPlay.

Tried it, don't see airplay?

Screen Shot 2019-12-05 at 10.50.59 PM.png

Tom H Anderson

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2019
Salt Lake City, UT
Did you try to connect using AppleTV as the trouble shooting section suggests?
Are you sure you did #2 correctly? Play something to ensure AirPlay is selected and stereo is working in your Proxy app.
I'm using Catalina.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
I'm using Catalina.

That may be the difference. I am still on Mohave and airplay to either of my HomePods or my Apple TVs only works intermittently. Right now I can't get any of them to work, although Roon has no problem.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
The HomePod is an omnidirectional speaker that is equalizing its levels for a room filling sound. This is perfect for music for a flat sound that surrounds you. However that isn't optimal for TV/Movies that has sound coming from specific directions equalized for a listening area not much larger than a couple couches.

Speakers/drivers should be selected for their specific application.

Firstly, for desktop computer speakers the HomePods are going to be too powerful for most people (not ALL people but most) on the computer desk. The HomePod sounds okish at very low volume but don't come to life until you turn it up to a level that is slightly uncomfortable for the distance. The base alone is overwhelming in close proximity.

Secondly, Apple put a lot of effort and technology into the HomePod being an excellent omnidirectional speaker. Omnidirectional is the exact opposite of what computer speakers need to be. Matter of fact there is very few audio applications that have such a narrow listening position. Maxwell?

maxell_speaker-500x227.jpg

Third, wired isn't always better but for computer desktop speakers its typically preferred for audio quality and lowest latency.

Fourth, and probably most obviously is the HomePod is a smart speaker. The computer is already smart with Apple Music, Spotify, PodCast, etc, it already has HomeKit, Siri, etc etc. The iMac just might need better speakers it doesn't need doubling down on smartness.

At the end of the day, the things that make the HomePod impressive and thus expensive are things that an iMac doesn't really need. If the goal is better audio quality from a single source (iMac) then that should be the focus. Consider extremes for an example, would two HomePods strapped to your head sound better than a 500 dollar pair of headphones?...Application...

Computer speakers from Edifer, Audioengine, Bose, etc, etc at similar/cheaper cost will almost certainly sound better at the volume and distance when the levels are eq'd for the computer desk chair. Outside of the area it won't sound as good but who cares, HomePods can still be setup around the room/house for music.

Bookshelf speakers + amp can work if you know what you are doing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.