Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bnmcj1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 13, 2014
It seems like every iPad "Pro" I have seen is discharged despite being plugged in. In stores I can see the power icon, but battery is dead or at 2 percent.

Can this so called pro device not be used professionally or for normal home use? That means used when needed.

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
Charges fine unless the brightness is at max, I was streaming movies and TV over wireless AC from the iTunes library on my Mac mini last night and when I was finished it was fully charged.

UPDATE: I had been plugging in the iPad Pro next to my desk using my existing iPad charger, turns out it was the 10w one. Swapped it out for the supplied 12w unit and it charges regardless of brightness. I leave it on auto brightness and have no issues using it with it charging away normally.

Last edited:

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Yep as above brightness plays a big part. If your gaming too it'll drain at a slower rate

bnmcj1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 13, 2014
So all in all unacceptable and not fit for purpose.

Thanks. Just needed to know.

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
For me brightness plays a huge part. Especially when watching videos. If I have the brightness at lower levels while watching a video, it will charge fine.

bnmcj1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 13, 2014
?
Honestly I haven't noticed any issue with charging and using it at the same time. I am using the supplied 12W charger.

So the brightness must not have been full, or you did not do intensive enough tasks. Sitting in a store is not even intensive. People are just opening a few apps and close them, but they are discharged.

Glad I did not buy one. Now I am sure I won't. Also the full charge/restart error....

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
So the brightness must not have been full, or you did not do intensive enough tasks. Sitting in a store is not even intensive. People are just opening a few apps and close them, but they are discharged.

Glad I did not buy one. Now I am sure I won't. Also the full charge/restart error....
Your call, but like I said I've never had a problem. And who knows what the floor models in the store are subject to. Or in to what they're plugged.

And I've not experienced the full charge/restart bug a single time. I use mine daily and plug in nightly.

bnmcj1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 13, 2014
Your call, but like I said I've never had a problem. And who knows what the floor models in the store are subject to. Or in to what they're plugged.

And I've not experienced the full charge/restart bug a single time. I use mine daily and plug in nightly.

Hmmm. The store models are probably on full brightness because of the light in stores. Maybe it will never be a problem at home. But what about work places/offices? The little lighting there is very similar to stores.

Hard to tell if it is a real problem I guess.

Mystro

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2011
The iPad pro sure can be used and charge at the same time. I do it all the time. Keep the brightness around 50% and internet surf away while you charge.

bnmcj1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 13, 2014
The OP obviously does not want or care for the Pro and needed a reason to justify the decision. No need in trying to convince otherwise. thread should be closed.

Needed a reason? Lol. It is pretty important to know if a device can last/charge. Clearly it can't (at least at an acceptable speed) with full brightness as I need. Then no sale.

"Go get him mod's. He sheds bad light on a relevant topic. We must hide the flaws."

Last edited:

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Needed a reason? Lol. It is pretty important to know if a device can last. Clearly it can't (at least at an acceptable speed) with full brightness as I need. Then no sale.

"Go get him mod's. He sheds bad light on a relevant topic. We must hide the flaws."
No device - laptop or tablet or phone, is going to last the advertised time with the screen at full brightness for the entire duration.

bnmcj1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 13, 2014
No device - laptop or tablet or phone, is going to last the advertised time with the screen at full brightness for the entire duration.

Nope, but most of them will charge pretty quickly while in use. And charge while in use. That is the purpose. You need to tank up when you are near an outlet. That seems slow/impossible in bright environments where brightness goes all up. I won't accept 50 percent brightness. Case closed.

Reactions: nikster0029

draughn101

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
The OP obviously does not want or care for the Pro and needed a reason to justify the decision. No need in trying to convince otherwise. thread should be closed.

Yep. I think anything with pro "in quotes" on the thread title should be closed.

Reactions: omgitscro

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011

I have an iPad Pro and I'm not exhibiting any of these issues. I frequently and using the device while charging it and it charges just fine. Yes or charges slower than my other iOS devices but that's the case regardless if I'm using it while charging it or not.

Reactions: bcaslis

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
Nope, but most of them will charge pretty quickly while in use. And charge while in use. That is the purpose. You need to tank up when you are near an outlet. That seems slow/impossible in bright environments where brightness goes all up. I won't accept 50 percent brightness. Case closed.

Then don't buy it. It's battery powered and gives 10 hours of life on a charge, it charges fine during usage unless you ramp the backlight to max which is ridiculously bright anyway and will probably hurt to use for extended periods at that brightness. You kinda sound like you don't really want one, can't afford one and are looking for justification to not buy one, so here it is, don't buy one.

Edit: having looked at your previous posts it is easy to see that you have zero interest in buying an iPad pro. You berate every aspect of it from the OS to the keyboard, infact it sounds like you hate it too much, which probably stems from a deep desire to own one but it is probably out with your means. Bummer.

Last edited:

veryangrybirds

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2011
I always have my brightness at 100% and I have never had a problem losing charge while using it and charging it. Only time I noticed it went down was when I used the 10w charger I had at work so I just bought another 12w adapter and did not have any problems after that.

draughn101

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
I always have my brightness at 100% and I have never had a problem losing charge while using it and charging it. Only time I noticed it went down was when I used the 10w charger I had at work so I just bought another 12w adapter and did not have any problems after that.

I had my brightness cranked this afternoon while watching The Walking Dead as I cooked. Charged fine. This isn't really an issue.

VesselA

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2015
Hmmm. The store models are probably on full brightness because of the light in stores. Maybe it will never be a problem at home. But what about work places/offices? The little lighting there is very similar to stores.

Hard to tell if it is a real problem I guess.

I think they max the brightness out in the stores because they have powerful lighting - in practical use at home and with indoor lighting the highest I usually have brightness is 50%.

The only time I would use full brightness is outside, but then there is no chance of charging - actually you could from an external battery. I may test this when the one I ordered arrives - test charging it outside at full brightness with an external battery pack

davideotape

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2012
i didnt try adjusting the brightness but to be fair to the OP i noticed it drops battery life while plugged in and at the very least its "not a good look" for a name brand device. when its plugged in it shouldnt still drain no matter whats happening on it

bensisko

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
The Village
I keep the brightness at 100% (needed for drawing) and I get about 8-ish hours. I never have issues using it and charging it (mostly in Sketchbook Pro with the Pencil, watching videos, and working in Office with a Bluetooth keyboard). The ONLY charging "issue" I notice is when plugging into my work PC to transfer files.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.